wirlybird

No Bottom Dense Support Layer

I would like the option of not printing dense supports at the bottom of supports. Only dense supports for the top of supports.

I think in most cases dense supports for the bottom do not add anything and conversely add more time, filament use and mark up the surface of the part they are printed on and make removal harder.
gearsawe

Re: No Bottom Dense Support Layer

This dense solid layer came from an outcry of the supports not sticking well or small support towers falling over.

Now if you are talking about using a raft and also have a solid bottom support layer that is a waste of material. But are you using a raft and support?
wirlybird

I'm not talking about a dense support layer on the bed. That is already an option.

I am saying that in general I don't need a dense support layer on the bottom of a support structure when the bottom is attaching to the model.
It just increases the scarring from the support and also makes it harder to remove.

This bottom dense support as in the picture is unnecessary.

It would be nice to have the option of dense supports for top only.
1.png
gearsawe

Ah! Now I see.
Never noticed it before.

I don;t have a dual extuder yet... but working on one. The advantage is you can assign your soluble support to just the dense layers. And use regular material for the other support layers.

The problem I have had with dense support it tends to put a bunch of little pieces everywhere.

So what you really is need separate setting for bottom and top dense.
so you could still assign soluble support to the bottom dense and top. but have the bottom less dense than the top.
wirlybird

Yes, this example is actually a single extruder printer.

To have control over top and bottom dense support independently would be nice.

I usually use 4 layers for the top but that is unneeded for the bottom. Most of the time I don't need any dense support layer on the bottom.
S3D-Jake

Thanks for this excellent feature request. Were you thinking this would be an option to change the number of bottom vs top dense support layers or just an option to remove bottom dense layers entirely?
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
wirlybird

S3D-Jake wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:56 pm Thanks for this excellent feature request. Were you thinking this would be an option to change the number of bottom vs top dense support layers or just an option to remove bottom dense layers entirely?
Either would be ok but if you did it as a selectable number of layers for each top and bottom separately it would be good.

This would facilitate being able to turn off the bottom dense support or add just one layer for a little extra "sticking" power.

Return to “Feature Requests”