upsm

Re: Adjustable infill

++
a very useful request, also something that's available with other slicers..
for e.g. prusa edition of slicer have something called "surface" that's ensuring wall thickness. typical issue - top of the printed busts, balls etc is not perfect.. simplify3d don't have problem with these tops! that this addon solves for slic3r tops problem but the way this is solved in slic3r would be a great addon to simplify3d, it's also how craftware handles steep angles, and it would solve this request of getting "more infill as we move to top", the thing is, it does not change only the infill % for the whole part with Z, it changes the infill % all around the object where infill is close to the wall, so if the wall is slanted you have some dense infill few mm near that wall, same for the top..

also, there was a talk on the forum that I seen, don't remember where, some slicer (maybe also prusa's edition of clic3r or something like that) is offering some "minimal infill" settings, minimal infill that will make the part print ok (so support slanted walls, roofs etc..) ... making something like that and combining it with normal infill ... so a merge of "minimal that would hold the fort" + your regular infill at some % ... would be a super cool feature :D

then, internal supports. talked about on forum many times .. internal support should help too :D
Used cars search engine
  • TT UP Plus 2 / Smoothieware
  • M150 / Smoothieware
  • Custom (mendel) / Smoothieware
  • Custom (darwin) / Smoothieware
  • Custom (darwin) / Marlin
  • Custom (darwin) / Replicape
Fin3D

wfcook wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:07 am
HOWEVER, it occurs to me that infill could benefit greatly from having a list like the temperatures. Something like:

Code: Select all

LAYER      PERCENTAGE
1          10
400        5
1000       15
Thumps up for this.
xepherys

lithgowlights wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:11 am Edit: While the cube could easily be done by adding more processes that change based on height, the big use of this would be where you have an irregular surface, such as a topographical map for instance where the ground gently rises across the print. The increase in infill would only be near the locations where there is a top surface being printed, and the rest of that layer would be a lower infill
I think this could also be nicely done with a list, but based on either # of layers or percentage away from walls/surfaces. Something like...

Min infill: 5%
Max infill: 25%
Drift: 15 (layers)

So, from the bottom, it would print your bottom solid layers, then start at 25% and slowly decrease for 15 layers. When it gets to 15 layers below the first top/solid, it slowly increases. Ideally, it would perform the same calculations along outer walls as well, both for sturdiness and for parts that might jut out (something non-uniform).

|------------------------------------------------------------|
|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
|xx x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x xx|
|xx x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x xx|
|xx x x x x x x x x x x x x x xx|
|xx x x x x x x x x x x xxx|
|xx x x x x x x x x xx|

Something like this, but in three dimensions.
dparkins

Another way to approach it is to treat the first layer of the many top layers as a bridge because that's basically what it is doing. If you have your bridging set up properly then that first top layer would be able to span whatever your infill is set to.

As a bonus, this would be "automatic" and you wouldn't have to manually adjust your processes just to get a nice top layer.
Zoidsfan77

xepherys wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:54 pm
lithgowlights wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:11 am Edit: While the cube could easily be done by adding more processes that change based on height, the big use of this would be where you have an irregular surface, such as a topographical map for instance where the ground gently rises across the print. The increase in infill would only be near the locations where there is a top surface being printed, and the rest of that layer would be a lower infill
I think this could also be nicely done with a list, but based on either # of layers or percentage away from walls/surfaces. Something like...

Min infill: 5%
Max infill: 25%
Drift: 15 (layers)

So, from the bottom, it would print your bottom solid layers, then start at 25% and slowly decrease for 15 layers. When it gets to 15 layers below the first top/solid, it slowly increases. Ideally, it would perform the same calculations along outer walls as well, both for sturdiness and for parts that might jut out (something non-uniform).

|xx x x x x x x x x xx|

Something like this, but in three dimensions.
Yes! This would be excellent, and save a lot of trouble making a bunch of processes for large models.
Larger printers are becoming more and more common these days.

+1, I like xepherys's thoughts.
dennisjm

+1. I've wanted this too. It allows you to more easily print with more space infill.

AND...

It's not that hard. They already do this exact thing with dense support layers for support material.
All they have to do is use the exact same logic for infill layers.
Dense infill layers: <N> -> Number of dense infill layers to include at the interface between the infill and the top solid layers.
Dense infill Percentage: <N> -> Infill percentage of dense infill layers.
xepherys

dennisjm wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:28 pm +1. I've wanted this too. It allows you to more easily print with more space infill.

AND...

It's not that hard. They already do this exact thing with dense support layers for support material.
All they have to do is use the exact same logic for infill layers.
Dense infill layers: <N> -> Number of dense infill layers to include at the interface between the infill and the top solid layers.
Dense infill Percentage: <N> -> Infill percentage of dense infill layers.
The logic would have to be slightly different, if only because supports follow a single pattern, and infill can vary. I imagine that there would be an infill pattern that would allow for this, and only that pattern. But yes, I do believe there's a slicer that does this out there anyhow.
S3D-Jake

Thank you all for giving your ideas and expressing your interest in this feature request. There are some really great ideas here! I'll continue to monitor this thread and keep our development team updated on the volume of user interest and any new ideas for how to tackle this problem.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
hidara@gmail.com

+1 for this
ImShogun

"Only infill where needed" exist in slic3r since at least 2015 :-). Sometimes buggy it seems but it is there.
I'd love to do the same in my paid S3D. And to be honest, I'm a bit surprised S3D is waiting for "n" users demanding that. It obviously is a great feature. :D

Return to “Feature Requests”