TheBum

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

Fri May 17, 2019 3:24 pm

S3D-Chris wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:55 pm
TheBum wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:10 pm
The big thing missing for me in 4.x is color mixing. If 5.0 doesn't include that and I'm outside the 1-year upgrade window when it releases, I'll probably stick with 4.x for a while.
Thank you for the feature request. We have sent your idea to our development team to review!
This feature was already requested...in early 2016 with 15 replies also asking for it: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4641

That's why I'm hopeful 5.0 will have it: the developers have had plenty of time to implement it.

StealthPrint

Wed May 22, 2019 2:03 pm

Prusa 2.0 released today. I think that's the killshot. Cleaned up the UI, added many SIGNIFICANT features. Constant community engagement. I'm going to download it and start getting familiar. They even provide a definitive "here is what we're working on for the next update." They've released two meaningful updates already this year. I can't even imagine how many light-years ahead S3D would be ahead if the continued development on a consistent schedule from when they were released.

Meanwhile S3D still lacks the ability to provide ANY information to their PAID userbase.

We don't really know what's being added
What we're paying
What type of schedule to expect (precedent has kind of been set already though....none)
When we're getting it.... and we're HALF-WAY through 2019!

I really hope I eat these words, but I'm not going to hold my breath. At this point I have a feeling we're going to get re-canned features from other slicers. Really feeling like this is just going to be a last hurrah cash grab.

Prusa is really on the money, and I just don't see how S3D can keep pace. Prusa makes printers and develops the software. They probably get a ton of requests internally from the floor about things that need to be improved (active) instead of waiting for feature requests (reactive) . Please get this car back in drive S3D, I'm really pulling for you despite the criticism.

Wallabear

Thu May 23, 2019 11:54 am

I am starting to agree with you, like you said we are halfway through the year, and have heard nothing! Most companies have been running the hype train talking up new features that are in the software about to roll out. And like you said have a set scheduled as to when the upgrades will drop. They could at least tell us Q3 or Q4, they could have told us back in Jan / Feb when ruffly we should be looking for the V5 to drop. I have been a big S3D for a while now and have been very happy with the results so far, but their community feedback has been realy lacking. Which for being a company that charges for a slicer when most all the other slicers are free or open sourced they REALLY REALLY need to do a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better job communicating with their end users. Do they realize that they depend on US as customers, when there are so many free options that keep getting better all the time; I wounder why even bother paying for a slicer. You would think that with a big release like this they would be driving the hype train, blowing their own whistle. Putting videos out saying here are some features in S3D V5, look at what we are doing. Making us salivate, make us want to have the software this minute, make it so we can not wait for you to release it. Instead everything is quite, not a word. PLEASE S3D GIVE US SOMETHING!!!

3DWP

Fri May 24, 2019 7:35 am

I agree with the two posts before this, I use S3D a lot and like it but what's going on with the marketing department (it's not there I'm afraid). :(

I have tested the Prusa slicer too, I agree it can be a major threat to S3D if they don't step up really fast. They don't even hint at what they are working on, only that there will be more info later again and again.

nodle

Fri May 24, 2019 9:25 pm

Can we get a comment from the developers in this thread? It's like everyone is gone and no longer even responding. You would think they would want to comment in here and give people hope/an explanation on what is going on behind the scenes.

Wallabear

Fri May 24, 2019 11:36 pm

@3DWP, Yes I also have just finished a whole day of Playing with the new Prusa Slicer, I must say that there is a lot in there that I am extremely happy with, as always room for improvement but it at least they were keeping people updated on the changes coming too. I agree that S3D marketing has REALLY been lacking which makes me think that 5.0 might not happen. It would have to be something huge to make people what to pony up more money. The other problem I am seeing is that the free slicers are really catching up there are A LOT of really good features that has been asked for here that are already implemented in other software. it is a real shame because I really do like S3D and want them to stick around, but they have to really do something special and unique, and add some of the much requested features. Here is hoping that SOMEONE at S3D is listening and reading.

jmone

Sat May 25, 2019 3:43 am

I too have been playing with the Prusa Slicer on my MK3s+MMU2s.... and it has been printing both Single and Multi Colour prints without an issue for the last couple of days. I'm very comfortable with the S3D UI and way of working but the Prusa Slicer's new UI is pretty good and for me.... it just works with my HW. That said, I've been testing and providing feedback to support on the ongoing development of the the profile for the MMU2s in S3D and it is not bad but Prusa Slicer is way ahead in both features and reliability. I hope the V5 is out soon with better support else by then I'll by in the Prusa Slicer camp.
Prusa MK3

Wallabear

Wed May 29, 2019 1:04 am

S3D-Chris wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:45 am
Mogal wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:47 pm

I've had S3D for awhile now. I've never looked at any other slicer since, so I have no idea how they've improved over time.
I'm happy with the ease of use, multiple profiles ect with S3D. Good prints too.

I hope the upgrade price wont exceed 20-25% of initial purchase. But we'll see.
Wish there was a 'teaser' as to what upcoming.

We will be teasing new features for both V4 and V5 updates as well as providing more info on upgrade pricing as the releases gets closer! We will also continue to post development updates to share our progress with the community.

If there are specific features you want to see added in the upcoming releases, please let us know!
I guess S3D-Chris forgot to tell "them" about posting development updates and sharing updates with the community like he said they would. I don't think I have seen one update since they announced it. I can not say how disappointed I am with the way S3D is handling this V5 thing.

no_carrier

Wed May 29, 2019 3:42 pm

Paying customer here.

The lack of information of whats coming is dismal.

Have a peek on reddit or join a discord discussion thats 3d printed related and see what the buzz is about these days. Its slic3r.

The s3d crowd probably sat on the side lines as long as they could as slic3r kept rolling out more and more features with more and more development and information on whats coming.

It was only a matter of time. We stood there and said, oh yeah! well s3d has....uh...well...supports! Eventually, we get a little prusa curious dip our toes in that free slic3r water. Its literally a matter of months before the game is over.

Seriously. You all need to step up your game. Provide us updates and give us a clear time line. This is how business is done. Especially when we are thousands of PAYING customers.

C_Birch81

Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:37 am

At the rate that they don't fix show stopping bugs that past new versions have added they not be getting any more money from me because they have shown a total lack of beta testing of version, a total lack of community feed back and a total lack of timely fixing bugs they have added that make the software not fit for use.

If you want to charge people for a new version after it was sold on the grounds of free updates then you might want to start showing promise in supporting the software and the community. Or is it a case of now that version 5 is due this year that we are going be left hang out to dry with the broken 4.1.2 version?

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”