alanj49

Print stopping when USB Bus changed.

I have come across a problem whereby if I am running a print from my MAC through the USB, it will all come to a stop if I add or remove any USB device from anywhere on my system, from attaching/detatching my mobile, turning any device on that is connected via USB. The Machine Control Panel says that it is trying to force a reconnection, but nothing happens. It is particularly 'frustrating' if you are near the end of a longish print.
Is this a known thing?

Software version 4.1.2
greybeard

Re: Print stopping when USB Bus changed.

Been running on two Mac’s for several years - had same problem until running from sdCard.

Power goes out where I live and my neighbor’s ham radio corrupts all wireless signals from TV to WiFi & Bluetooth…

Thus, recommend using sdCard. Also, could go to Tools>Firmware config, and set the Timeout to something like 90 seconds.
3D Print Parts
https://www.thingiverse.com/Still_Breathing/designs
alanj49

Many thanks for the reply, I don't have the problem when running from the SDCard as it is remote from the USB, it almost seems like the app is not locking the USB port and when something else happens on there it 'gets confused'
As regards the radio ham, I am also a radio ham and your neighbour would have to have a VERY poor setup to cause the problems you say you are getting, have you spoken to him about it? he should be keeping a log of when he transmits and you could tie that up with when you say you get the interference. It is part of the UK licence conditions, and I suspect everywhere else that we MUST not cause interference to other wireless equipment. If you speak to him I am sure that it could be sorted out amicably, and if it is him then it is up to him to resolve the problem, but checking his transmit log would be able to confirm that he was operating at the times you get the problems.
wirlybird

Yes, this is behavior from the USB. When something changes it basically resets and you loose the connection long enough to stall a print. Most USB devices don't notice it.
Printing via USB is risky as you are finding out!
Power settings and other items also can affect prints while using USB.
alanj49

Is there anything that can be done for this system 'not to notice' the changes on the USB Bus, or will there be an update that can take this into account and lock the port to the running app until it is released.
wirlybird

It really has nothing to do with the app. It is between the OS and the hardware.

You could try installing an add on USB card, if possible, that would then separate it from the system USB setup but I am not sure that would even work and different.
greybeard

alanj49 wrote:As regards the radio ham
Also true here (Oregon) he's not permitted to disrupt signals. But, he recently bought a 1950's era transmitter/rcvr and he doesn't care about neighbors. Sure, I could report him but that brings another dark-side to neighborly conduct...

Anyway, stick with sdCard for printing...
3D Print Parts
https://www.thingiverse.com/Still_Breathing/designs

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”