lolocaledo

Insert a nut ...

Hello,

I'm new in this forum and I just bought S3D, very nice product.
My first question is : what is the way to program in G-CODE a procedure to do a printing pause at a specific layer, move the hothead, inset manually a nut in a housing, and clic on continue job to finish printing ?

Sorry for my english ... I'm french :-)

Thank you very much.
Best regards
JoeJ

Re: Insert a nut ...

Use the previewer to figure out what layer you want to pause at. Let's say it's layer 153. Then add the following command into your post processing script.

{REPLACE "; layer 153\n" "M0\n; layer 153\n"}

When the print gets to that layer, the print will automatically pause just as if you had clicked the Pause button in the machine control panel. You can then insert your nut, and click Resume to begin printing again.
Rebekah_harper

hiya,

when the pause occures does the nozzle move away from the part or does it sit where it paused?

if it just sits here what can I do to add a move to a pause position?

many thanks

becky
KeyboardWarrior

Rebekah_harper wrote:hiya,

when the pause occures does the nozzle move away from the part or does it sit where it paused?

if it just sits here what can I do to add a move to a pause position?

many thanks

becky
I would suggest adding in two lines then:

G28 X0; home x-axis
M0; pause

I think that would work for you.
iPa64

I have tried, that works the task was stopped and Simplifi3d invite you to press resume to continue the job.
So I lift Z for 10mm, then changed filament, then made extrusion for 100mm to clean the new color.
After that I pressed resume, printer restart the job but extrusion was not giving filament anymore.
I have tested without use extrusion function from joystick panel that works, so use extrusion seems to break something, maybe the last settings about speed for extrusion.
Ah something else, this is not working:
{REPLACE "; layer 153\n" "M0\n; layer 153\n"}
Need to use this:
{REPLACE "; layer 153," "M0\n; layer 153,"}
Thanks for advice
KeyboardWarrior

You may need to send in G92 E0; before unpausing the print.

For Absolute mode extrusion, the extruder has a virtual extrusion position.

For instance, if you had the following lines of G-Code:

G92 E0; reset virtual position to zero
G1 E10 F200; pushes out 10 mm of filament at speed 200
G1 E11 F200; pushes out 1 mm of filament (since the previous position was 10)
G1 E12 F200; pushes out another mm of filament

If you have a pause, and the virtual position of the extruder is at Zero, then you make retractions/extrudes you could be dramatically changing the virtual extruder position.

For instance,

---G92 E0; reset virtual position
M0 pause
User extrudes 200 mm of filament using manual control buttons
Resume print*
G1 E1 F200; (this will retract 199 mm of filament)
G1 E2 F200; (this will extrude 1 mm of filament, but after the last command retracted the filament out of the extruder mechanisms.

*My thoughts would be to type into the Communication Log "G92 E0" (without quotes) before clicking resume to take into account the virtual extruder position.

This will not apply for all printers. For instance, MakerBot/Sailfish printers use relative mode when printing.
iPa64

Hi,
Thanks it's working!

Just before where M0 was inserted there was :
G92 E0
G1 E-1 F1800 //retraction
So I have send these two same commands just before resume printing.
NedY

Here's another way to put a metal thread in your 3D print. It would require you to redesign your part, but the installation is extremely easy.

Run some tests to determine what size hole to print. It's best if it is tapered, and strongest if the insert is inserted with the big end away from the screw head.

After printing, position the insert over the hole and press it in with a hot soldering iron--one over 40 watts would be best. In a few seconds, the insert will melt into the plastic. Have a flat piece of wood or metal to press the insert flush with the surface.
93365a162p1-b01s.png
93365a162p1-b01s.png (2.8 KiB) Viewed 15539 times
gabrielcr78

Just an additional Tip!
After inserting the nut, then printer will try to print on top of it (closing the gap)... since some nuts are plated, there might not be enough adhesion. these are bridges that S3D is trying to build on top od the nut, but a bit of adhesion definedly helps, specially if you are pritings ABS... so you can just have the nuts heating in the top of the heatbed, on a corner or so (where it's not in the way of the extruder) and you can actually apply a coat of hairspray (for ABS) or PVA (for PLA) and when you need to insert just do it with the nut hot and preped as if it was the metal of the heatbed... this will help a lot the printer when resuming the print.

regards!

Gabe
randybonnette

Hello Gabe,

Thanks for the tip. I know it's quite an old topic. But can I use the M0 command in the gcode file? Where should I put the M0 line then? Thanks.

Randy
https://www.simplify3d.com/tactile-math-teaching-advanced-mathematics-with-3d-printing/

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”