Sbstudios

External Supports not rendering in print.

Hi Everyone,

I am personally new to the 3D printing universe! I am having a couple issues actually, and I am sure they are related. I have a couple parts of my external support that will not render near parts of the actual model.

I downloaded a model I purchased from Heroforge I am currently trying to get printed. Its beak is not supported even though it actually passes the Max overhang limit, and where the part juts out for a pack on this chest, it just doesn't provide any support between those layers. That includes sections where there are shoulder pads and the arms are under them.

Please pardon the unprofessional images, I just needed something to illustrate the issue.

When I print this, it goes good up until the arm cuts off the support and when it reaches the continue point, it just creates "Silly string" in mid air and then "sticks" it to the outer layer of the model making it look... Hairy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!
S3D-Alex

Re: External Supports not rendering in print.

Could you please post the Factory File these images are from?
Sbstudios

Are you asking me to upload the original model?
Sbstudios

I actually tried printing it, and it will heat the bed to the temp I set it to, get half way through heating, and then it just stops. No warnings, no errors, nothing.
S3D-Alex

We do not necessarily need the model file but the Factory File will contain the settings you are using. The Factory File is a unique file compiled in Simplify3D. The file contains complete information about your project (model, printer, process settings, etc.). To create the file, open the software and load your project. Then go to File > Save Factory File as...
dkightley

The possible solution to the issue with the supports is to:

Change the Support Pillar Resolution to 1.0mm
Open the Customise Support Structures window
Click on "generate Automatic Supports"
View the simulation of the supports to identify areas where auto supports have not been generated
Using "Add new support structures", add supports to areas where the auto-process missed

Note that if you can't add a custom support indicatot then supports are not possible due to the angle of the surface, etc.

Re your not being able to get the model to print at all.....that's an issue with your settings, and the best way to get assistance would be to do as Alex has suggested. Point to mention.....make sure your model and profile are loaded before you save the Factory file! If either are missing, its a waste of effort....
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
Sbstudios

Oh I see!! Alright I will get you the factory file. I'm loving the idea of 3d printing. I'm just having a hard time staying motivated because it's hard to print anything of quality. It's strange there aren't any files for my particular printer it's an iverntech Delta kossel. And it is similar to the Anycubic brand by a same model name.

When I use the Anycubic Delta kossel file it will heat the build plate, and the extruder. It will lower itself down and once it gets down to roughly 6 inches above the build plate, the printer stops completely and aborts the print leaving the job in the queue.

If I have to open another thread for this particular issue I will, I just want to get things moving so I can possibly mess around with it as I had hoped.

Thank you in advance

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”