ogfire88

Ability to measure STLs, hole sizes, and bottom surface

Hi all, I am a recent purchaser of Simplify3d and I love it and all of the control I have over prints. However, I've noticed a few things that would be very nice to have.

I operate a 6 figure SLA printer at work and some of the software we use to prepare prints gives the ability to specify a bottom plane (the plane that will sit on the build plate). I think this could greatly help printing parts that are a little more organic and less like a standard or mechanical shape.

I would also like to see a measuring tool like what the free version of netfabb has. It would be very helpful for models that were downloaded directly from the web, so I can have an idea of what the final dimensions are supposed to be on the part.

As we all know, the plastic shrinks when cooling and effects hole sizes. I would like to see a setting similar to skienforge's setting to stretch interior outlines. It is very similar to the dimensional changes to the model that showed up in the latest update (that I have not had a chance to play around with yet) except it would keep the exterior of the part the same, and only effect the interior. This would give some adjustibility for hole size and exterior fits.

As an "All in one" software I think both of the last two are a must for those of us who like to work to create a physical part that matches the model exactly.
LeSeule

Re: Ability to measure STLs, hole sizes, and bottom surface

Hi there,

old thread I know. But I would like to have this measurement tool, too. Cause I actually had the problem that a STL file im mm exported not scaled correctly into S3D, so I had to scale it manually. Very difficult without measure tools.

Thanks,
Phil
andrewk72

I use the grid lines on the bed to do quick measurements. All the lines are 5mm apart, so you can easily get a quick estimate just by looking at that.

But a more exact tool could also be nice :D
ScottK

Put me down for a measuring tool as well.
an39hgt

Yup, years later and still no measure ability.
tonyno

+1 for me on this.
velcrohead

Add me to the list too, I use meshmixer to do this usually.
S3D-Jake

Thanks for all of the requests! If you have any specific things you like or dislike about other software's measurement tools, this would be a good place to voice your opinions. I'll keep monitoring this thread for your feedback on how you'd like this implemented.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “Feature Requests”