sandstone

How to successfully pause 3D printing and turn off

Hello! Tell me, please, is there any way to successfully pause 3D printing and turn off the printer completely, and then continue the next day?
greybeard

Re: How to successfully pause 3D printing and turn off

The answer to your question is “Yes”. It is possible to Pause, turn-off machine and Resume the next day where you paused.

There are Two ways of doing it (AFIK) and both can be done successfully. And, may depend on your printer.

# 1 - The Easy Way (I recommend this way, Does not depend on printer)
Summary: You setup Two Processes.
Process#1 - Stopping at the desired Z-height
Process#2 - Starting at the Z-height where you stopped.

# 2 - The more Difficult “you gotta do some editing” Way
Summary: You use a Pause command in the Scripts panel (Additional Commands). It will pause the machine and you can turn it off.
Then, after editing the Gcode (deleting all the non-relevant code) and Printing with the edited code.

You’ll need to know what you’re doing for #2.
Thus, I recommend #1.

Example of #1 below:

Process#1
Height = 0.2
Start at Z=0.0
Stopped it at Z=0.8
Print Process#1 on Day 1.

Process#2
Height = 0.2
Start at Z=0.8 Stopped it at (not set so it prints the remaining full height).
Print Process#2 on Day 2.
ScreenShot of Starting at 0.8

Easy! You may want to adjust the Start and Stop heights to reflect what you need for your part as material shrinks, etc... Naturally, do some example tests to dial it in...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 1.29.21 PM.png
3D Print Parts
https://www.thingiverse.com/Still_Breathing/designs
TheBum

You have to be careful with #1 too. The second process should have no commands in the Start script except possibly temperature setting commands. You probably DO NOT want the printer to home before printing the second part because it could cause the nozzle to impact the first part of the printed model. You'll also have to be careful not to jostle the printer to the point where you introduce a layer shift and/or a Z offset.

Another consideration is bed adhesion, especially if you print on a surface like glass using glue stick. I've had prints literally pop off the bed after cooling on such a bed, which would be very bad if you wanted to continue a print on another day.
sandstone

Thanks for help!!!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”