arhi

Please stop storing megabytes in windows registry :(

Since I had to migrate my whole settings from dead computer to new one I had to analyze the registry of S3D and I found that huge blobs are stored in registry itself (the table object, the last loded object ...) .. we are talking megabytes of data stored in registry.... this is not what windows knows how to handle. Storing config in registry is ok, storing settings, acceptable but bad practice, storing blobs, terrible :(
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
S3D-Jake

Re: Please sto storing megabytes in windows registry :(

Thanks for the feature request. Can you be more specific about which keys are being used to store such large quantities of data that is an unacceptable use of said storage location? I'd be happy to suggest a change if I can come to our developers with more information.

Thanks again!
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
arhi

Re: Please sto storing megabytes in windows registry :(

S3D-Jake wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:40 am Thanks for the feature request. Can you be more specific about which keys are being used to store such large quantities of data that is an unacceptable use of said storage location? I'd be happy to suggest a change if I can come to our developers with more information.

Thanks again!

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Simplify3D\S3D-Software\FFFWindow]

for e.g. key profileDatabaseContents is 2 megabytes attm here, I can probbly make it bigger, and maybe other keys too but att my s3d won't start so can't test, will check tomorrow
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
S3D-Jake

Re: Please stop storing megabytes in windows registry :(

That registry contains the profile database. You mentioned storing table models, last loaded model file, etc... I'm not able to find any of those items being stored in the registry as more than just a reference to the file from which to load these items.

As you said, storing the configurations in the registry is acceptable. That key you mentioned is doing just that, storing your saved configurations.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
arhi

sorry can't get s3d to run to check it :( ... I was sure I seen a whole last loaded stl in the registry but can't confirm :( ... (not sure why s3d won't start now, but have no time to debug now)
arhi

S3D-Jake wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:59 pm That registry contains the profile database. You mentioned storing table models, last loaded model file, etc... I'm not able to find any of those items being stored in the registry as more than just a reference to the file from which to load these items.

As you said, storing the configurations in the registry is acceptable. That key you mentioned is doing just that, storing your saved configurations.
My bad!!!

I was going trough it all and I seen few big key entries and I assumed everything is there but actually a big chunk I expect is in "geometry" and some other keys is in .factory file

%LocalAppData%\Simplify3D\S3D-Software\savedState.factory

so everything dandy :D my bad :)
S3D-Jake

arhi wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:33 pm I was going through it all and I seen few big key entries and I assumed everything is there but actually a big chunk I expect is in "geometry" and some other keys is in .factory file

%LocalAppData%\Simplify3D\S3D-Software\savedState.factory

so everything dandy :D my bad :)
I'm glad this didn't turn out to be the root of the issue, as I was positive an issue like that would have been reported much earlier in the current release's life cycle. As a bit of more background on the geometry key, it is used to remember Window positions, sizes, and stuff like that. It is what makes the supports menu open in the same place after you've moved it from the default place. :)

Return to “Feature Requests”