Overheal

Re: single outline corkscrew printing mode does not work

SPEED wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:41 pm
horst.w wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:41 am
SPEED wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:19 pm
I'm not an idiot.

You are sure?

How do you assume my model is not printable ?
It will be, but not as a hollow body with a definide wall width. Your model has 2 walls, an outer and an inner one. How you want to print it with onle one perimeter?

Sir, you havn't understood anything! Go back to Cura, they have more and good automatism than S3D. Here you must invest more than pressing a knob.

horst.w
GER

Corkscrew.png
Like i said i am not an idiot.
You are the one who hasn't understand anything.
It doesn't matter how many perimeters your model has corkscrew will always print it with one perimeter. That's it's function.
It's just sad that people so ignorant on 3dprinting try to teach others.
I hate to be that guy: but, it's off-putting that you ask for the community's help and then try to 'mansplain' how something works, when you can't get that thing to work. Anyway, sugar catches more flies than vinegar. But I for one have never used vase mode so I'm happy to help because its a learning moment for me.

Moving on,

I looked at your files (20 top and bottom solid layers???) and was unable to get vase mode to work properly on your model. I loaded up SolidWorks and did some similar parts, all were 20 x 20 x 40 mm with 2 mm filleted corners

- as a solid block printed in your .factory settings, this slices correctly with 20 bottom layers, X number of layers in vase mode, 20 top layers.
- as a block with a Shell feature on the top (wall spacing 0.4 ~ 2.0 mm thick) I could not get it to slice all but the bottom layer for some reason. 0.4, 0.48, 2.0 mm were tried.

So I went to thingiverse and pulled the most popular vase model out there: the twisted 6-sided vase basic. Sure enough: that model is a solid, closed volume, that when printed in your settings prints 20 solid layers, X number of vase layers, and 20 top layers. Removing the 20 top layers, it prints in vase mode after the first 20 layers and completes with an open top.

Hope that helps; vase mode appears to work only for layers that have a single island which is a solid profile, for which it only prints on the perimeter of that profile. In your case your per layer profile is an "O" shape, with an inner and outer perimeter, the slicer doesn't seem to like handling this, instead it makes toolpaths for both the inner and outer perimeter (which requires it to print both perimeters every layer, which it cannot do in corkscrew, so it prints under normal conditions), it doesn't matter if the wall thickness of that O is 2x your nozzle size or more, it's still going to only slice the inner and outer perimeter, afaik.

tl;dr - your model was the problem, it was the first issue brought up to you, and you treated the people like crap that pointed it out to you. They deserve an apology. re-model your part as a solid rather than a hollow tube and it will vase print nicely.
Attachments
vase.PNG
vase slice.PNG
SPEED

Overheal wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:10 pm

You are sure?

It will be, but not as a hollow body with a definide wall width. Your model has 2 walls, an outer and an inner one. How you want to print it with onle one perimeter?

Sir, you havn't understood anything! Go back to Cura, they have more and good automatism than S3D. Here you must invest more than pressing a knob.

horst.w
GER

Corkscrew.png
It doesn't matter how many perimeters your model has corkscrew will always print it with one perimeter. That's it's function.
I hate to be that guy: but, it's off-putting that you ask for the community's help and then try to 'mansplain' how something works, when you can't get that thing to work. Anyway, sugar catches more flies than vinegar. But I for one have never used vase mode so I'm happy to help because its a learning moment for me.

Moving on,

I looked at your files (20 top and bottom solid layers???) and was unable to get vase mode to work properly on your model. I loaded up SolidWorks and did some similar parts, all were 20 x 20 x 40 mm with 2 mm filleted corners

- as a solid block printed in your .factory settings, this slices correctly with 20 bottom layers, X number of layers in vase mode, 20 top layers.
- as a block with a Shell feature on the top (wall spacing 0.4 ~ 2.0 mm thick) I could not get it to slice all but the bottom layer for some reason. 0.4, 0.48, 2.0 mm were tried.

So I went to thingiverse and pulled the most popular vase model out there: the twisted 6-sided vase basic. Sure enough: that model is a solid, closed volume, that when printed in your settings prints 20 solid layers, X number of vase layers, and 20 top layers. Removing the 20 top layers, it prints in vase mode after the first 20 layers and completes with an open top.

Hope that helps; vase mode appears to work only for layers that have a single island which is a solid profile, for which it only prints on the perimeter of that profile. In your case your per layer profile is an "O" shape, with an inner and outer perimeter, the slicer doesn't seem to like handling this, instead it makes toolpaths for both the inner and outer perimeter (which requires it to print both perimeters every layer, which it cannot do in corkscrew, so it prints under normal conditions), it doesn't matter if the wall thickness of that O is 2x your nozzle size or more, it's still going to only slice the inner and outer perimeter, afaik.

tl;dr - your model was the problem, it was the first issue brought up to you, and you treated the people like crap that pointed it out to you. They deserve an apology. re-model your part as a solid rather than a hollow tube and it will vase print nicely.
I don't know if you noticed but my model has no top or bottom layers so 20 or 20 million wouldn't matter ?
Do i even have to read the rest ?

P.S. I only dropped the factory file because someone asked it.
The factory file has nothing to do with the problem the problem is to corkscrew the STL file.
Can you corkscrew my STL file?
Last edited by SPEED on Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPEED

wirlybird wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:13 am

You are sure?

horst.w
GER

Corkscrew.png
So insulting the people who are trying to help by explaining the issue to you is how you go about getting help?

Maybe try dropping the attitude and listen to what has been expalined. You have been given the solution.

Good luck with it.
You are full of s. What solution i have been given ?
The one perimeter solution ?
Don't make me laugh.
wirlybird

SPEED wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:01 pm

So insulting the people who are trying to help by explaining the issue to you is how you go about getting help?

Maybe try dropping the attitude and listen to what has been expalined. You have been given the solution.

Good luck with it.
Don't make me laugh.
You really do not deserve and further attention because you are simply rude but hear goes.

The advice EVERYONE has given you and you ignore is that your file cannot be printed in vase more as it is. It HAS TO BE A SOLID MODEL. No opening in the middle.

1.png
SPEED

wirlybird wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:45 pm
SPEED wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:01 pm

Good luck with it.
Don't make me laugh.
You really do not deserve and further attention because you are simply rude but hear goes.

The advice EVERYONE has given you and you ignore is that your file cannot be printed in vase more as it is. It HAS TO BE A SOLID MODEL. No opening in the middle.

1.png
Oh i see lol.
Thank you very much.
I mean WHO COULD IMAGINE THAT.
Anyway i found a workaround. If you check wipe nozzle Simplify3D prints everything in corkscrew mode...even with multiple perimeters.
IceMan

You may have found this by now as I just this tread.
This works for me when I have hollow parts and don't want to or have the time to create a solid
Go to the Advanced tab in you FFF Settings (double click on your process)
Tick Merge all outlines into a single model

So if I want to print a tube using vase mode I use this.

Cheers

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”