Overheal

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

I mean based on S3D's communication on this I'd expect that even if S3D 5.0's roll-out extended out to some time in 2020, that anyone who activated an S3D product in 2019 should be made eligible for the free upgrade (if not everyone who purchased S3D after the announcement of 5.0). Anything less would be, frankly, miserly.
irix

Anyone who's actually a professional and or not a amateur hobbyist will pay the small fee. The software is very good. I cant count how much *TIME* this application has saved me and others I know whom use it. We tried many other "free" slicers and spent a lot of time going in circles/wasting time and material.

I guess I'll spell it out more directly. For those of us who are not printing out toys from thingiverse and actually using the printers to make money... I'm not sure how much you guys charge/value your time. Speaking for myself if it's a total of 2-3 hours saved it's paid for itself... even if I had to fully repurchase it. Amazing how people don't value their time and expect everything for free/immediate gratification these days. Sometimes I miss the days before the internet... it's ruined some people.
Hivoltage

I have been a user for a couple of years now. I am unemployed and on a budget. I just shelled out $175 for V-carve so my milling experience is that much better. I am not going to complain about any fees. Why? Because For 2 or more years I didn't have to pay each month just to use the software. I hope S3D continues its support and value. When Version 5 does come out I will shell out whatever the fee is. Even if its close to its original cost. I do welcome any improvements to software I like to use. :)
BladerunnerxRC

I really like S3D... but if I am going to shell out over $100, again, v5 better go well beyond just catching up with PrusaSlicer (Slic3r) and Cura (both having been updated on a regular basis with added features and bug fixes on a timely basis). I honestly have been on PrusaSlicer 80% of the time, Cura 15% and S3D 5%.
Wanhao i3Plus
- Modifications: Flexion Extruder with HT Hotend, ADVi3++ Firmware, and BLTouch
Railcore II 300 ZLT (*Project not complete*)
jmone

It will be interesting to see what slicer first brings non-planer slicing to the market first.
Prusa MK3
gwhite

So, any updates on when the upgrade is coming out? It's October, and back in February, S3D said "later this year". It's getting pretty later...

I (and many others) have put in feature requests that have not been included in Version 4. Unless 5.0 comes out soon, I'm going to bite the bullet and try to switch to Cura. There isn't a Cura profile for my machine (MakerGear M2E). I've been reluctant to try to figure that out myself after reports of extruder crashes from someone who tried...
mroek

The lack of updates on the update is a bit concerning. June is now a long time ago, and we're even nearing the end of the year, so version 5 should hopefully be close to ready now.

Could the community please have some info on what is going on, and what to expect?
nuggetz

I gotta say that as a Prusa owner I've been using Slic3r a lot more these days. With Prusa's modifier meshes, I was able to save lots of print time by setting part of a complex model to 80% infill while allowing the bulk of the model to print at 20%. This cannot be done in S3D. In a way, modifier meshes are a lot more powerful than simple customizable supports - even with multiple processes.

However, when the print was complete, I very dissatisfied with the print quality of areas just above supports in Slic3r so I decided to slice the same model in S3D. Since the settings are a bit different, I wasn't able to set up both slicers exactly the same. In S3D, I always use low support infill % and then bump up the density on the dense supports to 85% at use at least 3 layers of those. This saves time and allows a pretty tight support structure. In Slicer I set up dense supports to 0.1mm spacing and the results were awful. Using Rectilinear grid supports, I was able to break them away easier in Slic3r but the surface quality was so bad I could not possibly give the print to my customer and had to reprint it using S3D which took another 14 hours to complete.

I dont know what S3D does differently but I've always been able to go back to it on those important pieces and it's never failed me. I know I can rely on it. As long as the same magic exists in 5.0 I'll gladly pay for an upgrade. They will surely add modifier meshes and that will be the icing on the cake for me.
arhi

nuggetz wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:24 am This cannot be done in S3D.
while I use slic3r and prusa slicer and love the mesh modifiers, this is really untrue. everything you can do with mesh modifiers you can do with s3d processes. It's not as simple and there are few bugs/weird behavior (shell between processes) but all in all processes are actually more powerful than modifier mesh, just require more work (for e.g. you have to split part in multiple parts so you can select each part to be separate process and have different infill)

nuggetz wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:24 am However, when the print was complete, I very dissatisfied with the print quality of areas just above supports in Slic3r
it depends on your material and configuration, for e.g. for PETG I tuned prusa slicer better than S3D for supports so supports are easy to remove and underside looks awesome with Prusa Slicer while with S3D it's hard to remove and crappy underside. On the other side ABS (that I print most) I tuned better in S3D so in S3D removing support is easy and underside looks good while on Prusa Slicer underside gets ugly and fuses and ..

there's probbly a lot that can be done for both slicers in terms of supports (for e.g. attm cura has most features wrt supports, there are tree supports there, there are other types of support structures that can save a lot of material and time printing supports) but that's not for this topic imo (paid new release) ...
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
S3D-Chris

gwhite wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:02 pm So, any updates on when the upgrade is coming out? It's October, and back in February, S3D said "later this year". It's getting pretty later...

I (and many others) have put in feature requests that have not been included in Version 4. Unless 5.0 comes out soon, I'm going to bite the bullet and try to switch to Cura. There isn't a Cura profile for my machine (MakerGear M2E). I've been reluctant to try to figure that out myself after reports of extruder crashes from someone who tried...
Our development team continues to make significant progress on Version 5 and we are still on schedule to release V5 later this year. We will be posting more information including pricing and features as we get closer to the release date!

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”