dwallersv

Re: Ironing

dkightley wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:23 am I agree that the S3D developers should not rip off ideas from other slicer developers...but rather have initiative in their own right.
I don't -- not at all.

"Rip off"?!?!?? What a foolish idea.

It doesn't matter who comes up with a good idea for everyone to find it useful. Refusing to implement something that PAYING customers could benefit from out of hubris or pride is just, well, childish and idiotic. This sort of barbarity was, in part, at the heart of the rise of open-source, community based software.

Give appropriate and prominent attribution to those that first thought of it and implemented it. License it if necessary. But don't avoid highly useful features in strong demand because "you didn't invent it". Believe me, there are plenty of people out there without that arrogance that will eat your lunch in competition for customers.
cybrsage

thesaint7811 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:11 pm Soooooo...... any update on this or when 5.0 is coming out?
One year and one month after they first mentioned they were making it...since free upgrades are only for a year.
neotko

dwallersv wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:47 am
dkightley wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:23 am I agree that the S3D developers should not rip off ideas from other slicer developers...but rather have initiative in their own right.
I don't -- not at all.

"Rip off"?!?!?? What a foolish idea.

It doesn't matter who comes up with a good idea for everyone to find it useful. Refusing to implement something that PAYING customers could benefit from out of hubris or pride is just, well, childish and idiotic. This sort of barbarity was, in part, at the heart of the rise of open-source, community based software.

Give appropriate and prominent attribution to those that first thought of it and implemented it. License it if necessary. But don't avoid highly useful features in strong demand because "you didn't invent it". Believe me, there are plenty of people out there without that arrogance that will eat your lunch in competition for customers.
As the guy who come up with Ironing I do agree, in fact I did send a few emails to s3d about Neosanding/Ironing and I would love the feature to be a easy thing to set, instead of how it's now that you need to copy the process etcetc.

I have 2-3 more prosproccesing ideas that I use for my shop stuff, some is shared on the ultimaker forum, but maintly what I would like on S3D it's a easy scripting access and specially a gcode viewer that allows to insert FX at some point (start/end) while seeing the result on the gcode viewer. Could open the door for some fantastic fxs
billyd

Actually you can't patent ideas or otherwise legally protect the idea itself. You can only protect the method(s) or components used to implement an idea.

So if S3D wanted to add sanding or leveling or ironing to top surfaces they can as long as their method of coding is original (assuming the prior methods were protected to begin with and they probably aren't).

Ideas are cheap. Actually implementing and producing working methods to put the idea to work is the hard part and the only part that can be legally protected.
UshCha

Ironing

Cura has an Ironing option to improve the quality of the top surface(s). I expect Simplify has a similar option but I don't know where it is. Can you help?
horst.w

Yes, such an option does not exist!

But it is not necessary if all settings are well done and the bottom of the nozzle is exactly even.
The most important point is the extrusion quantity.
And much more important for S3D would be to return to the old First Layer option. Since they have changed the system of extrusion for layer height below 100% I'm not longer able to practice a well optical underside. ;-(

horst.w
GER
horst.w

... what would you like to improve with this surface?

H
IMG_20191022_214721.jpg
mystixa

Thats definitely a nice surface. However I would improve it by ironing it which would allow you to no longer be a slave to the structure of the print for the largely aesthetic look of the top surface pattern. Perhaps I would like it to be concentric circles, perhaps it should be parallel to the cubic design instead of diagaonal, perhaps patterning would be used creating a checkerboard or other geometric design. Now we're going beyond smoothness and into patterning there would be the possibility for drawing arbitrary patterns or designs.

Because you have surfaces that are sufficient for your needs, don't assume they work for everyone. Part of the whole idea behind 3d printing is that someones arbitrary 'good enough' or limited imagination doesn't have to be the permanent limitation for all of us. Companies like s3d have generally helped in opening up possibilities, and this has potential to be another one of those cases.
mystixa

Oh and +1 for ironing to be in the next s3d. ;)
horst.w

Ok, for some user it may be useful.

But I see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh5wC4Ti95s
an extremly bad surface and I would prefer to optimate the settings.

So the video shows the effect I can't find it as a perfect solution. Clearly better than before, but from a bad surface you never can't get a perfect one.

And the same possibility you can get with setting the last layer with its own process. And than you have the same option.

horst.w
GER

Return to “Feature Requests”