lockedup

Is there a way to get S3D to mimic my old RepG startup/wipe?

I have a replicator 2 with makerbot firmware.

I used to create g code and x3g files with replicator g (0040) skeinforge 50.
The laptop I used for everything died so I installed S3D on my PC yesterday because I could not get repg and python to cooperate on my PC.

With S3D my issues seem to be mostly first layer and I've been trying to tweak settings to get it to stick.
I've read through some of the troubleshooting guides and most of Clint's Settings manual.
I added some skirts but even those just do no seem to be sticking and then they end up getting pulled into the model when it starts the model layer 1, which then cascades into a storm of glop.

On the printer I can go form a S3D file that fails and immediately load an older, Rep G file and the print works.
So I have ruled out hardware.... and want to know if there is a way to get my S3D to mimic the startup setting of an old RepG file since those just work.

...Especially the blob/wipe that it used to do seemed to get the prints to start off great.
It would do a purge and keep extruding across the bed, right up to/ into the part.
I tried loading a custom wipe that someone had posted on this forum and it helped but not as good of a result.

Is there some way to look at one of my old gcode files and pull the startup settings/info out and get them into S3D?
I'm not gcode literate but trying to understand what it was doing.

Thanks!
dkightley

Re: Is there a way to get S3D to mimic my old RepG startup/wipe?

Use the default settings for the MakerBot Replicator 2. They work very well!..and contain a nozzle prime and wipe on the front left hand corner of the bed.

If you're having issues with adhesion to the bed, then you need to tweak the bed height a little. Adjust the Global-Z setting (Gcode tab) by a negative amount ( say -0.1mm)....noting you can go negative!!..and try printing a few lines. Keep adjusting until you get the desired adhesion.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
lockedup

It failed with default settings but I will go back and retry them with only bed tweaks.

I can't see how it would be the bed height though when I am able to go right back to a rep g created file and it works flawlessly... unless there was something in rep g that was also tweaking the bed height.
Last edited by lockedup on Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lockedup

I tried defaults again and it failed on try #1, spaghetti monster and nothing sticks at all.
(The rep g file works fine still).

Leveled the build plate again and setup a file with -0.20 z-axis.

Try #2 it didn't even complete the purge before it clogged.

Cleared the clog.

Try 3 got past the purge after some initial clicking and it seemed to stick a hair better for layer 1 than it did on try 1 but once the fan kicked on it turns into a spaghetti monster and stops extruding.

FWIW, the rep g file is heating the extruder to 220.
S3D is only going to 200.

From the various things I have tried is seems that for my unit, the S3D temp is too low and as soon as the fan kicks in I get problems.
I even tried changing the fan to layer 10 on my modified setup ... then I got 10 layers down and as soon as the fan kicked on, it clogged.

So in my modified settings I turned the fan off completely and got a full print.
Not necessarily the most beautiful perimeter but it completed the file and the part is very strong.

I'm going to try again with defaults, modified z and shutting off the cooling fan completely.
lockedup

I think the default temp is to low for makerbot brand PLA at the speed:
https://support.makerbot.com/learn/3d-p ... ture_13462

Anytime I lower the temp it seems to give issues.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”