HugoW
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:36 am

Solid layer half-way, causing splitting

Hi,

my first post here, so far I got by by googling. I've been 3D printing on a home made CoreXY machine for 3 years now, about a year ago I transferred to Simplify3D. I use my printer as a tool to make car parts, both real and RC cars, and my new project involves stainless tubing so I print some weld els and other items to make a mock-up of the final idea, before cutting and welding any real steel.

Normally, I print els laying down. But since my heated bed relay failed (new one is ordered) I printed one upright. (Never mind the bottom setion, that fits into something else)
Image 

Drawn in FreeCAD, exported as STL, loaded in SF3D:
Image 

What I notice now but didn't notice when I created the print file yesterday, is the green layer in the middle, a solid layer. I did notice it this morning, however:
Image 

Image 

If been searching but I cannot figure out why this happens, and how I can prevent it. I'll just hot-glue this together so I can use it, as I hot-glue-weld together the els and tubes for the mock-up anyway, but this problem I want to understand and prevent in the future.

Thanks,

Hugo
User avatar
dkightley
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Solid layer half-way, causing splitting

S3D is far more sensitive to minute errors in the mesh(es) of shapes it slices....probably why it slices much faster than other slicers. You'll need to run the shape through a repair program to remove the issue(s) that are causing S3D to print the solid layer.

If you are running Win10, then try the app 3DBuilder...which will auto-repair when you load the file. If not, there are online services that will do the job.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”