korpx

Feature req: first layer speed should not be a percentage

The first layer speed should not be a percentage.

A certain build surface with a defined temperature and optional adhesion enhancer requires a fixed speed.

First layer speed should have no relation to whatever speed the following layers are printed at.
KC_703

Re: Feature req: first layer speed should not be a percentag

A specified first layer speed would be an interesting advanced option.

I've only seen it entered as a percentage of the normal print speed... The extruder speed seems to vary on the print situation, a percentage is probably the only way to keep those rules intact.

If this an option is added for a fixed speed, please don't remove the percentage option.
korpx

Sorry, I fail to see a situation where a percentage of any other speed would be reasonable for the first layer, but by all means keep that option too so all bases will be covered.
First layer adhesion is probably the most critical part of a print and adhesion properties are (should be) static if the physical conditions remain the same between prints (temperature, filament...).

KISSlicer expects a fixed value.
Slic3r accept both a fixed value or a percentage relating to the default speed.

(Fixed/relative is a pretty powerful way of handling settings in general where it makes sense.)
KeyboardWarrior

korpx wrote:The first layer speed should not be a percentage.

A certain build surface with a defined temperature and optional adhesion enhancer requires a fixed speed.

First layer speed should have no relation to whatever speed the following layers are printed at.

For me, I like it as a percentage because it lets me "eyeball" the situation. For instance, if my printer traditionally prints at 3600 mm/min, I know that speed pretty well because I've seen it do that speed a million times. However, if I also know that I want my first layer to be half as fast, I can just type in 50%. I do see your point though, that you want it to be fixed, that makes a lot of sense as well.
dennisjm

+1 for a fixed speed.

Here is my reasoning:

I have been playing with quality settings in the xml file. So I can select slow/medium/fast and have those settings auto-adjust the print quality.
As is, I have to go calculate the first layer speed every time I change the quality speed. That's annoying.

Return to “Feature Requests”