GaryDawson

1 Layer Problem

I'm wondering why this first layer is not complete. I'm attaching pics of first layer, second layer and the stl. The bottom of the object is completely flat but S3D seems to want to cut up and print only part of what should be the first layer.
Thanks in advance for any help!!
Gary D
Object.jpg
Layer 2.jpg
Layer 1.jpg
dkightley

Re: 1 Layer Problem

Simple...the bottom of the model is not flat as you say it is....and the second layer is trying to bridge over the fresh air!

A simple solution is to drop your model down on the z axis by the thickness of one layer.

EDIT...
Just thought of another possible cause......on the Mesh dropdown select Separate Connected Surfaces. If the number of parts increases from one....then the issue will probably be solved. The cause.....multiple meshes within one stl. S3D doesn't like them!

PS showing sceen prints of single layers is counter-productive. Attaching a Factory file is far, far better. It allows investigation to be done. You can't experiment with a screen shot!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
GaryDawson

A simple solution is to drop your model down on the z axis by the thickness of one layer.
Just thought of another possible cause......on the Mesh dropdown select Separate Connected Surfaces. If the number of parts increases from one....then the issue will probably be solved. The cause.....multiple meshes within one stl. S3D doesn't like them!

PS showing sceen prints of single layers is counter-productive. Attaching a Factory file is far, far better. It allows investigation to be done. You can't experiment with a screen shot!
Hi Doug and thank you for your reply! The part I've quoted above was very helpful.
It turns out that my STL was being separated for some reason in my design software. I think it may be a bug in that software, I'll report and see what happens. Meanwhile, your first suggestion above is golden. Dropping to the first good layer is golden advice.
:)
GaryDawson

OK, So I've looked for a way to drop the model on the z axis and am not finding it and not finding an easy reference to this in the community.
Sorry to be dense here... I know a lot about resin printers, (DLP) but I'm a newbie to FDM printing.
Thank you in advance for your help!!!
horst.w

.... only needed a
double-click on the object opens a window for changing position a.s.o.

horst.w
GER

PS easy to proof if an object is standing full flat on the print table:
Set in Additions a BRIM / Skirt with
- 1 layer
-zero distance
-1 up to some perimeters

will fence the object in the print preview. IF NOT - it undercuts the outer contours - than the object has not a full contact and is uneven.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”