criton01

Re: Version 5 Announcement

I've routinely requested an update on upgrade pricing. They will not release that detail for some reason. The people who are on 4.1.2 should worry... if you can't tell people who already bought in, how much it will be to continue, then whats the point of keeping the product. I spent the money on the slicer. it really shouldn't be a mystery as to how much it will be.... Really S3D?
brittond14

I received an email talking about a great new version 5 coming out but it didn't have a date or what new features it would have. Perhaps someone here would know? As I just purchased version 4.1, will I get an automatic upgrade to the new 5.0 version?
Glowtape

gimaxUser wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:26 pm Easy..
If you announce something, you'll be held accountable for it.. They are not yet finished with the development, so they do not want to promise stuff, which there is a possibility that they cannot deliver...
To appease people, they could have put some of the things that are already done into a development update. If they don't have a single thing to show after nearly a year, then things are in real dire straits.
ururk

I've been reluctantly experimenting with Cura. Been a devoted fan of S3D, been using since 3, but unfortunately there are some quality issues that S3D has that Cura doesn't out of the box - that isn't to say S3D can't be tweaked to perform better, but I haven't yet found a solution for some issues.

I really loathe Cura in many ways - I've gotten so used to S3d's workflow, placing a facet on the surface of the bed, it's fast slicing and overall tweakability. Plus, Cura runs so slowly on my fast mac laptop. BUT, while Cura has (in my opinion) a terrible project file/save workflow, it does have better machine/profile management than S3D.
studiodyne

I think not ....

I think , they use their own software et they can see all the missing features , the bad supports generator , the bad bridge safe direction generator , the bad pillars generator

I think , that the software was written too quickly and not for the future , too difficult to change something in their source code

I think they have rewritten all the sensible code to make it compatible with new modules easily , and it's why , they haven't time for bullshit
Now , they have a serious well written code , and , i really thinK , the future will be more interesting , with more suprises and not just one by year

But , now , we know that the code is really flexible and can be ' pluggin ' compatible , and no excuse will be accepted for us if too long , and not reactive

HAPPY NEW YEAR
Wallabear

Mogal wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:01 pm Talk about first world problems. :lol:

If it upsets you so much about the time of release, move on! :roll:
If it upsets you so much about the price of the upgrade, MOVE ON!!!

S3D is still my goto slicer.
I've seen vids on other slicers, but not enough to compel me to switch.

Again, if it upsets you so much, move on, I'm tired of hearing about the missed deadline and cost of upgrades.
Get over it! Geez.
How about we suggest they move to a subscription based model?! Would that make you happy?!

I'd like to get back to the positive things that come with 3D Printing.
Thanks.

FYI: The upgrade price will be around 25/30% of full purchase price.
For me it is not about the missed deadline, or the upgrade price. it is about the silence and lack of communication that S3D has treated us to. We have asked for a substantial update. For me it is also that I purchased my license of S3D right after they announced that they were releasing V5 in 2019, knowing full well that they offer 12 months of upgrades with the license purchase. Now that they have pushed back the roll out of V5 I want to know if because of their issues if they will extend that update window. It is not my fault that they are having issues. Back in November they were still saying on schedule for 2019, then in mid December they say "oops, wait early 2020". If they want to take their time polishing their software good, but at least extend our upgrade period to reflect their issues.
S3D-Chris

criton01 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:22 pm I've routinely requested an update on upgrade pricing. They will not release that detail for some reason. The people who are on 4.1.2 should worry... if you can't tell people who already bought in, how much it will be to continue, then whats the point of keeping the product. I spent the money on the slicer. it really shouldn't be a mystery as to how much it will be.... Really S3D?
We don’t have exact pricing details yet, but we plan to announce that closer to release. If you previously purchased Simplify3D 4.1.2 license in the past, you will not need to buy a full license again, there will only be a small upgrade fee required.
S3D-Chris

brittond14 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:48 pm I received an email talking about a great new version 5 coming out but it didn't have a date or what new features it would have. Perhaps someone here would know? As I just purchased version 4.1, will I get an automatic upgrade to the new 5.0 version?
As you may have seen in our FAQs, we provide 1 year of free software updates along with your license purchase.
S3D-Chris

ururk wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:21 pm I've been reluctantly experimenting with Cura. Been a devoted fan of S3D, been using since 3, but unfortunately there are some quality issues that S3D has that Cura doesn't out of the box - that isn't to say S3D can't be tweaked to perform better, but I haven't yet found a solution for some issues.

I really loathe Cura in many ways - I've gotten so used to S3d's workflow, placing a facet on the surface of the bed, it's fast slicing and overall tweakability. Plus, Cura runs so slowly on my fast mac laptop. BUT, while Cura has (in my opinion) a terrible project file/save workflow, it does have better machine/profile management than S3D.
We would be happy to help you troubleshoot any issues you are experiencing! You can post in our Troubleshooting and Bug Reports or contact our support team at support@simplify3d.com
StealthPrint

S3D-Chris wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:27 pm
criton01 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:22 pm I've routinely requested an update on upgrade pricing. They will not release that detail for some reason. The people who are on 4.1.2 should worry... if you can't tell people who already bought in, how much it will be to continue, then whats the point of keeping the product. I spent the money on the slicer. it really shouldn't be a mystery as to how much it will be.... Really S3D?
We don’t have exact pricing details yet, but we plan to announce that closer to release. If you previously purchased Simplify3D 4.1.2 license in the past, you will not need to buy a full license again, there will only be a small upgrade fee required.
I don't expect a direct answer (sadly), but are you going to honor the FREE UPGRADE for people who purchased around the time of the V5 announcement, now that almost an entire year (conveniently) has been burned? Your statement seems to say "no". Which means you HAVE hung customers out to dry. Would be nice to have a direct answer.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”