dkightley

Seasons Greetings

Contrary to recent posting trends, I would like to thank Simplify3D for providing such a good 3D slicing solution to the 3D printing community, for their continued support over the past five years that I have used the package....and to wish all the support and development team a happy holiday, and a prisonous new year.

I, for one, look forward to the new year....not quite a new decade yet.....and to the impending release of v5.

Putting myself into the shoes of members of the S3D team, I would feel very upset and disheartened by some of the comments that have been made recently by some of the less-than-loyal S3D users and non-users who have made quite caustic comments on this forum. I'm sure that if they were face-to-face with the developers, they would not be so unkind! But, unfortunately we live in a climate where hate via social media is common place....where hiding behind a screen seems to give anyone the right to say what you want.

Anyway, I digress...….

I wish one and all a Happy Christmas, Happy Holiday as appropriate....and a Happy and prosperous new year.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
S3D-Chris

Re: Seasons Greetings

Thank you for your encouraging message! We would like to wish everyone a happy holiday season and thank you all for your continued support. Our development team has worked around the clock this year to make Version 5 the best release yet. We are extremely excited to release version 5 and can't wait to see what you can create with the new features in 2020.

Happy Printing from the Simplify3D Team!
zemlin

I agree with Doug - the number of self-righteous whiners on this forum is pretty astounding. I'm looking forward to seeing v5 - S3D is my go-to slicer for most stuff.

Here's my favorite office Christmas decoration - vase-mode printed in clear PETG with a 1mm nozzle using S3D.
IMG_3285_Trim.mp4
(1.86 MiB) Downloaded 277 times
RoboDLC

Maybe I am a little late with my sentiment, but I too agree with Doug.

I probably would have given up on 3D printing if all that I initially had to work with were the free slicers. Lest anyone need reminding, they don't have manuals either (I still want a manual S3D!) With S3D as my start-up slicer I can then set up parameters with CURA to tell others to use. In most cases. S3D STILL owns the market with their dual-extrusion settings. I have yet to get (that other slicer) to print a decent dual-color model. With S3D, I work with perfecting a print, not just getting the printer to work.

My "New Years List" includes a concise list of parameters to use in scripting special cases, which is the only way to get good dual-extrusion prints to be "perfect" and "Tree support", the latter of which is the only reason I use (that other slicer).

I like Simplify3D. I'll pay for it, because software is NOT free. People need to eat.

'nuff said,
DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.
Codex404

I want to explain my stance on the "whiners" some of you are talking about.
First of all, I have nothing against the developers of the product. I love the product. What I do see time after time after time is promises that are not delivered, empty marketing content and all other kinds of things I am just tired of.

I bought my copy in September 2018. I was I would get the update for free because the update would launch mid 2019. I understand that with software development there can be delays, but a company should notify their users about not being able to hold their promises. They should explain why they cannot hold those promises and what they will do to make it better.

When community members ask about these things no one of Simplify3D responds to it. I've also seen quite a few of these threads just being deleted. Which makes me thing the company is trying to hide these things. If I knew back then what kind of company it was I am not sure if I would have bought the software.

I love the software and like what the devs have done with it so far, but the lack of communication and empty promises is for me a sign of a product I don't want to support.

In my opinion they should hire a community manager or PR manager who will communicate to us what is going on. And in the contrary what Doug is saying I would be happy to tell them in their face what I think they are doing wrong, unfortunately contructive criticism is not something Simplify3D is open for and probably one of the reason you see so many hate on them.
RoboDLC

Codex404 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:08 am I want to explain my stance on the "whiners" some of you are talking about.
First of all, I have nothing against the developers of the product. I love the product. What I do see time after time after time is promises that are not delivered, empty marketing content and all other kinds of things I am just tired of.

I bought my copy in September 2018. I was I would get the update for free because the update would launch mid 2019. I understand that with software development there can be delays, but a company should notify their users about not being able to hold their promises. They should explain why they cannot hold those promises and what they will do to make it better.

When community members ask about these things no one of Simplify3D responds to it. I've also seen quite a few of these threads just being deleted. Which makes me thing the company is trying to hide these things. If I knew back then what kind of company it was I am not sure if I would have bought the software.

I love the software and like what the devs have done with it so far, but the lack of communication and empty promises is for me a sign of a product I don't want to support.

In my opinion they should hire a community manager or PR manager who will communicate to us what is going on. And in the contrary what Doug is saying I would be happy to tell them in their face what I think they are doing wrong, unfortunately contructive criticism is not something Simplify3D is open for and probably one of the reason you see so many hate on them.
I can't argue with that sentiment. All of those things bug me too. They kind of bug me with the entire 3D Printer commercial-hobby reality which over-promises and way under-delivers. If not outright lies. There are exceptions, of course. Maybe everyone is simply overly optimistic, except the users who are getting used to disappointment. It is rather like the old car "hop up" industry used to be for the hobbyist: You go through the catalogs, buy what you can afford and install it, or not, based upon your dedication, skill and fearlessness to hack. :)

S3D still works better than any other slicer I use (except for tree support, nudge, nudge), but it can use some improvements and some SERIOUS work on consistency of operation and layout. I'd never bother with multi-color printing without it. The S3D slicer is not a disappointment, for me. The rate of its improvement is disappointing. I'd still pay the $150, and recommend it. Just don't expect new stuff to come out anytime soon.

IMO,
DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”