yesbird

Holes filling tips

Hi, guys !

Could you please suggest me the best way to fill holes without additional perimeter shells (see image) ? I don't want to add them to save printing time and material.

I examined all tutorials (was very helpful for other problems), but still don't know what to do with this holes.

Single extrusion set to maximum, playing with "Allowed perimeter overlap" gives almost nothing.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
holes.png
dkightley

Re: Holes filling tips

Playing about with perimeters is unlikely to help. There two things that will ...….thinner layers and using a smaller nozzle.

Unfortunately, both will up the printing time.

This way of 3D printing uses layers.....and surfaces in between vertical and horizontal will have some degree of a "staircase" effect...which is what you are seeing. The only way of reducing the visibility of these steps is to make them smaller....hence thinner layers and narrower extrusions.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
yesbird

Thank very much for suggestions, I found in previous test that thinner layer reduces holes sizes, but did not think about extrusion.

Will continue experiments.
yesbird

I am continue examining the holes problem and suppose that single extrusion could help also, trying to force it work for it. On the attached image the dark blue strokes at the right side fills holes the best way, but large holes pointed by arrows are still exists.

Being myself C++ developer with 3D geometry mathematical background, I can suppose that there is a space for improvement of single extrusion algorithm.

This is not criticism - software is fantastic and I am using it as is, but I have a fun going deeper in all aspects and details to get best results.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”