aLLmIxEdup

Re: FFF file location?

The profiles are stored in the Windows registry in xml format. Some enterprising admin with fairly basic Powershell scripting and an understanding of the windows registry could probably cook up a clever way to violate any sort of support agreement they might hope to have with Simplify3D. However it might work...

For those of you without fear or sense, you might start with a look in the registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Simplify3D\S3D-Software\FFFWindow

There be demons...

:twisted:
billyd

I found this section of posts regarding proper use of the registry quite interesting. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/691 ... -practices

Opinions are split. But most agree it is a poor idea to use the registry for frequently used data, as it can easily get out of sync when the program crashes causing a user to be locked out.

This exact thing happens to me routinely (a few times/year) in S3D.

S3D get the @#$% slicer settings out of the registry and into a file please. It's a stupid idea and of no real use. I have no idea why you are doing this. Is it because it's cool? Because it's not like this data requires any speed of access. It is accessed once during slicing (or should only need to be). It makes no sense at all. Worst part of S3D is the profile handling. Absolutely terrible.
Jkush

Going to add my own experiences to this - and express my complete frustration. I now have a S3D install that will NOT update profiles, NOT export profiles, NOT modify profiles and will NOT import profiles WITHOUT CRASHING. I'd like to try a reinstall - but fear I will loose any custom profiles. I've had these issues sporadically in the past, but never all at once. I'm not a computer tech, do not want to mess with my registry and don't see any reason why I'd ever have to. Custom profiles should NOT be saved in the software - none of the multitude of 3D modeling or rendering applications I work with professionally do this - and for good reason.

Also - a huge shout out to EvoOlli for his profile saving app :D . Using it now.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”