jimc

show process for imported gcode file

ok so if i have a gcode file that was made using simplify3d and i have it saved on my computer somewhere or maybe on the sd card. i come back to it at a later date and just grab the file and drop it into s3d it immediately goes to the preview mode. this is fine but it would be nice if you could exit the preview mode and the process settings were there so you could alteast view the settings in s3d without having to open the gcode file in a text editor. i realize there is no "model" saved in a gcode file like in a factory file but the settings should all be there and atleast be able to be viewed even if no changes to the settings are possible. for instance i just had 2 gcode files on my sd card which were slices of the same model with different settings. i cant really tell which one is the one i want. maybe have it load the file and in the process settings have a red "non editable" tag there or something just noting its is for viewing only.
dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

Re: show process for imported gcode file

jimc,

Since you'd have to open it from the Preview after loading a G-code file, I think something that is basically the FFF settings window with all the setting controls "grayed out" (disabled) would be sufficient. I suppose you could also put " - [Read Only]" in the title bar.

I'm trying to imagine what Jeff Johnson would have suggested in his "GUI Bloopers" book. Great reading if you're developing a user interface, by the way. He does a great job of showing what "grayed out" should actually look like -- compared to how some software companies have implemented it!!!

Dale
jimc

Re: show process for imported gcode file

Absolutely, just some way of seeing what the settings are that have been used to create that gcode file without having to open it in a text editor. Greyed out is fine

Return to “Feature Requests”