arhi

Re: Paid upgrade For 2020 upcoming Version 5.0

Interesting development, Fustion360 now support G-Code export so you can slice directly inside Fusion360. Fusion360, AutoDESK, not free (rather expensive company I'd say), there are ways to get Fustion360 free I won't go into them but .. check out https://youtu.be/Yd0l2ZOQQek
Why I'm writing this, compare the new slicer from high and mighty AutoDESK that purchased meshmixer, netfabb and who knows what else and with all that might they produced this https://youtu.be/Yd0l2ZOQQek ..

Now look at the Simplify3D v4.1.2 .. forget about 5.0 .. we can discuss 5.0 when 5.0 is here but compare this F360 "product" with more than year old S3D ... I'd say old 4.1.2 is still running circles around the autoDESK's might

more and more I look at competition, more I wonder what 5.0 will look like
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
BaudR8

It looks like s3d is holding onto their silence-first policy, so what happens if they decide to one day go belly up without a word. Eventually our DRM's will kick in and try to call home and when it can't reach the servers we will most likely become locked out of accessing the software. Same goes for the use case where customers have to email support to reset licenses/passwords/etc. At this point, I'd be less worried about 5.0 and more worried about future access to current installations.
Wallabear

BaudR8 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:25 am It looks like s3d is holding onto their silence-first policy, so what happens if they decide to one day go belly up without a word. Eventually our DRM's will kick in and try to call home and when it can't reach the servers we will most likely become locked out of accessing the software. Same goes for the use case where customers have to email support to reset licenses/passwords/etc. At this point, I'd be less worried about 5.0 and more worried about future access to current installations.
@BaudR8, this has been a concern of mine for a while just nagging at the back of my mind. But lately it is looking more and more like an eventuality which is sad. I may complain a lot but I do like the software and it works fairly well. I guess we will have to cross that bridge when we come to it!
33phil9

arhi wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:39 pm Interesting development, Fustion360 now support G-Code export so you can slice directly inside Fusion360. Fusion360, AutoDESK, not free (rather
more and more I look at competition, more I wonder what 5.0 will look like
Unfortunately autodesk does not want to support delta printers at all - they think delta is not good enough (due to high calculation error)

Lets see if s3d are able to keep the plan and provide 5.0 soon
arhi

33phil9 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:02 am Unfortunately autodesk does not want to support delta printers at all
delta printers execute same G-code as the rest of them, you should be creating profile manually anyhow and no slicer should axist if it does not allow you to make custom profile so wrt to "printer support" there should be no difference to slicer if your printer is cartesian, corexy, delta, scara ..

the support in slicer is more
- number of extruders (this is where s3d is still imo the best)
- special extruders: X in 1 multi material (like prusa multi material, or those 2 in 1 systems), X in 1 mixer (like diamond)

rest of the stuff should IMO be in the firmware (retraction, pressure advance, speed / acceleration shape etc etc) ... this is where I'm having issues with s3d but that's another topic

what I'd like to see in 5
- bug fixes
- bug fixes
- bug fixes
- better bridging
- bug fixes
- tree/organic support
- smooth adaptive layer height
- bug fixes
- native octoprint & duet3d support
- fancy infill options (adaptive infill especially)
- better prime/purge options (sacrificial object for purge instead of useles blocks, purge into infill's...)
- full 3d outer shell printing

what I expect to see in 5
- few more languages
- ton of new printers supported
- more bugs

but hey, let's wait and see :)
BaudR8 wrote: more worried about future access to current installations.
most of the apps I used in past 40 years taht used on-line activation system shoot a version that do not require any drm/server/licencing when they decided to close shop so I'm expecting the same from s3d if they ever decide to give up on s3d app .. if not I'm pretty sure other solutions will be found. the worse case of similar issue I had/have with netfabb, I purchased server pro (over 1000eur) that came with usb key, unfortunately neither the key nor software work on new windows :( and the company is "puf" gone, swallowed by the autodesk :(
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
percar

As for Fusion not being able to work with a delta printer that is not so. All you have to do is the configuration of the post processer. At the end of the day gcode is still only x, y, z plus extruder the rest of the calculations are done in the controller and firmware
CappuccinoCake

It would be nice to hear some new information about the release date of S3D 5.0 because I can't await to see all the new features.

In await Patrick
LCD

I don't think, I will upgrade to 5.0. Maybe it is for free. Currently switched to Cura because it offers a surface finish lightyears ahead of Simplify, due "Ironing". I noticed also in my prints small holes in the surface when printing with S3D (even with a higher price range printer). They are always in same place, but gCode preview seems normal. Unfortunately I noticed this after the 14 days. I'm earning money, not playing around. Not having time to adjust all the stuff for each print. Cura has much faster workflow. Only thin walls are better in S3D, Seriously, I do not need 100000 supported 3D printers (even then ... Alfawise U10 is missing). It need to be done once: defining a 3D printer. Please ... focus on important stuff.
billyd

If I was a betting man I'd say S3D is dead. We are half way into March now and not a peep. If they aren't going under they are sure acting like it. It's a shame but all things come to an end. And now with the worldwide virus wreaking economic chaos, it will likely spell the end for many companies that were just hanging on.
CappuccinoCake

The only thing is that most of the users have tweaked their settings now to this slicer, and if you want to change to another you have to work in a bit. And you are for sure missing some features that are not the same in another slicer.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”