zenphobic

Stringing and inconsistent layers

Hey guys, I seem to be having an issue with the software. I am getting a bunch of stringing and weird layers near the top of my print. I know it the software because I was using cura to do the same print and I wasn't having this issue. Also I just recently switched over. I am using a Ender 5 Plus with .8mm Nozzle and using Petg. The temps I am using is 263C for nozzle and 85C for the bed. I've included a picture below of what is happening. https://imgur.com/m3EMNiH
TheBum

Re: Stringing and inconsistent layers

That's a pretty high nozzle temp, even for PETG. I've never printed over 245 and my current filament seems to be happy with 240 for the first layer and 225 for subsequent layers. I would first try lowering the temp to see how low you can go and still get good layer adhesion. Another possible culprit is insufficient retraction distance and/or speed.

Also, do you have the Wipe feature enabled? I was having some stringing issues that even temperature and retraction changes weren't fixing, but they've all but stopped happening since I enabled Wipe. I left the wipe distance at the default (5mm).
zenphobic

Hey TheBum,

I have wipe nozzle and coasting on for the print. I did drop the temp down to 240 and it seems to be working but im sill getting this weird stringing on the corners? I never got this in cura so maybe its a setting i'm not seeing?https://imgur.com/7BKdwpE
gwhite

PETG is notorious for generating stingy bits. You will probably have to increase your retraction settings, and then play with extra restart distance.
zenphobic

Hey GWhite,

I ended up just going back to using cura for the model. It prints out perfectly, though I was hoping to get the same results with simplify 3d. I did try to use the same settings I had in cura but they didn't fix the issue of that weird stringing in the corners.
TheBum

FWIW, on my M3D Crane Quad, I use 5mm retraction distance with a 5400mm/min retraction speed. I don't use coast and I don't see any artifacts that would require it. The stringing I do get is typically on the first layer (due to the higher temp, which I'm happy to deal with) and at the very end of the print (apparently no wipe when the nozzle is lifted).

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”