monomgabriel

Print parts of single object sequentially

Hello everyone,
I am printing with flexible filament and need to avoid travel moves.
How can I print part A, B and C one at a time knowing that they belong to the same object ?
I want each of these parts to be entirely printed before printing another.
I tried to use separate files : one for base, one for A, one for B and for C but I can't merge them once in Simplify3D.
They are interpreted as individual objects and just stack on roof of base.
Do I need to edit G-code manually ?
Thank you in advance for any idea
S3D-Jake

Re: Print parts of single object sequentially

Sequential printing requires that you have multiple models. The next best thing might be some way to cut the model inside Simplify3D. We've had requests for planar cutting tools before. I'll add your feature request to that grouping.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
monomgabriel

Hello and thank you for your answer.
Do you mean it is impossible to do right know?
If impossible, any alternative would be very welcome as I need to print 52 of these.
Thank you.
S3D-Jake

You can use the split tool in Microsoft's 3D builder to separate your STL into multiple STLs. Then set up the print to be printed sequentially. I've attached an example.
example.factory
make sure to select all processes for printing and toggle sequential printing mode on. Set your sequential clearance to 9999 if you're certain the extruder assembly and gantry wont collide with the part.
(35.7 KiB) Downloaded 392 times

Here is a video showing the sequential printing of a similar object sliced into three parts using 3D Builder. https://streamable.com/vtoyb7
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
monomgabriel

Thank you but in your example the problem is the same as what I described: STLs are just stacking on each other.
First it builds the base, closes it with 3 Top Solid Layers, then starts the cylinder with 3 Bottom Solid Layers and finishes it normally.
Once printed it will break very easily.
My wish is to have no roofs/floors (bottom/top solid layers) between cylinder and base.
Is that possible?
monomgabriel

Here are screenshots to illustrate what I am trying to do.
What I would like to get is:

What I actually get is:
S3D-Jake

The cylinder in your image looks like its projected into the base. If that's what you want that has to be done in modeling software. You'll also want to create a hole in the base for the projected cylinder as well. This has been done in the attached example.
anotherExample.factory
(23.44 KiB) Downloaded 695 times
monomgabriel

Nice! That was a convinient solution but I can't combine it with sequential printing :cry::
DarthRevan

monomgabriel wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:42 pm Nice! That was a convinient solution but I can't combine it with sequential printing :cry::
Why can't you? There are multiple models and a process for each one, correct?
monomgabriel

I don't know, do you think I am doing something wrong? The only difference I see with the example is that my base is also attached to a higher tower:

Here is my factory file:
baseSertissable.factory
(46.89 KiB) Downloaded 410 times

Return to “Feature Requests”