Don

Any Modix Big60 tips?

I'm a long-time Simplify3D user, and at the moment I have 9 boxes in my garage, a Modix Big60 (some assembly required).

I've downloaded the profile, and am looking forward to 4 week prints (yikes), but while I slowly assemble this thing, I thought I might ask fellow Simplify3D users if they have any experience and tips with this printer they might want to share.

I bought it because I have several large prints coming up in the near future, and I'm tired of glueing together parts for the final.

Any input welcome!

Thanks,

Don
ngoldberg

Re: Any Modix Big60 tips?

Hello,

I have assembled and been using a Modix for over a year and may be able to help.
The manual is generally very good but some of the pictures may be a bit confusing
It is helpful to have a decent metric capable caliper available. I also found a high quality inch / metric tape measure on the McMaster website

1) The allen wrenches included with my kit were only slightly harder than frozen butter . Get a better set to be able to tighten screws better.
2) Do your assembly on a clear CLEAN, non carpeted floor that is measured to be level. Work on cardboard to avoid scratching.
3) When assembling the frame, work carefully and do not tighten an assembly until all screws are in place. Insure that there are no aluminum chips on the mating surfaces.
4) Then go back and tighten everything, before the Loc Tite has had a chance to set up.
5) Heed the caution in the manual about being sure that the right frame pieces are used in the proper locations other wise the whole frame will be out of square.
6) Avoid screwing in the feet into the frame until you are absolutely sure that everything is square.
7) The drive pulleys are all really soft aluminum be careful tightening them so as not to over tighten. Mind the location of the flats on the motor shafts.

I will try to answer any other questions you might have but I do not check this forum every day.

Regards,

Neil
pcarrillo

Neil,
I have the Modix big 60 and installed the 2nd extruder/hotend, I can get both to extrude but cannot in conjunction with one model, meaning, extruder 1 prints the perimeter & infill and the supports, but I need the 2nd extruder to print the supports only. when the model is finished, I want to place in water remove the supports only. Do you know how to set up 3Dsimplify step by step so i can accomplish this? Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Don

Neil,

Thanks for your response.

My printer is up and running and I'm amazed by the prints.

It took a couple weeks.

One of my best finds was to print with zero bottom layers. I had a fair amount of curling on large, flat prints. But I saw that the brim and the walls all laid down flat. So I turned off the bottom layer. Honeycomb starts straight on the bed. I haven't had a problem since.

Printing PLA at 205 at 40 mm/sec at .15 height with .4 nozzle, no bed temp. I'm at the point where I set up the print and leave the room. Perfect prints every time. Prints pop off the bed with no problem. I did kill my first layer of PEI when calibrating.

Don
chipS

Hi Neil:

Just finished my Big 60 installation. I am not familiar with Simplify3D setting. Do you have a step by step setting instruction/file that can share with me? I really appreciate this. Thank you in advance. Stay safe.

Chip
Don

Chip,

Go to the Big Modix customer page (they should have sent you log-in info) and download the S3D profile. It works just fine.

Don
archester

Hi Don, I came through the Modix Big 60 while searching for a professional large-format 3D printer (here: https://top3dshop.com/blog/large-format-3d-printers ). I know that the company has recently released a brand new version of the printer (V3). I was wondering if, after almost one year of use, will you still recommend it. How is the overall quality of the structure? Is it reliable and accurate? Also, are you having trouble printing large parts in one go (warping, shrinkage, or similar issues)?I find it perfect for me 'cause in the near future I might require an enlargement and the possibility to install the 120x add-on is great.

In short, if you were me, would you buy it again?
Don

I've very pleased with it. It did the job I bought it for. In terms of accuracy, I usually print with a 0.3 Nozzle at .1 or .15 layer height. Most of my work is for maps, so I don't go very tall. I can fill up the bed, and with proper prep, I can print 16" x 20" 1" tall maps without warping. I found BuildTak to be my best bed. PLA, 205°, 50mm speed, 55c bed. Prints that take me 11 days aren't uncommon, but the top layer looks like silk.

I'm not a huge fan of the volcano, I've had to rebuild the head often. Not a huge fan of the titan extruder, either.

Yes, I'd buy again. If a big job comes down the pike and I need another machine, I'd buy the V3. They changed a lot of things that needed changing.

The machine itself is a sturdy beast, and the best FDM printer in terms of print accuracy. I use my Phenom for stuff that has to be perfect (topo maps, braille...)
MolvikEngineering

Did any of you have issues with getting the bed flat? Mine appears to be sagging in the middle where there is no way to adjust it.
Patrick Molvik, P.E.
Owner - Molvik Engineering
WA #45620
ID #P-12770
Don

No problem. I really didn't like the induction sensor, so I swapped it out with the BL Touch and installed the BL firmware and it works great. If it came warped, I would ask for a replacement.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”