frijoli

Re: Paid upgrade For 2020 upcoming Version 5.0

FastMaster wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:31 am Also negative talk that updates will never happen isn't helping anybody and not based on facts.
I disagree that it won't help anybody. It should in fact stir up the folks in charge to see what a poor job communicating they're doing. Also it makes people feel better to vent. lol
gwhite

FastMaster wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:31 am Also negative talk that updates will never happen isn't helping anybody and not based on facts.
How about the "fact" that we were promised Version 5 in 2019. Three and a half months after the end of the year, we have not ONE shred of evidence that we will see it: A) soon, B) at a reasonable price, and C) with features worth waiting for.
SnowDrifter

As an update: I was able to get a refund.

To that end, I no longer have a dog in the fight. While I'm disappointed in how this all went down, as far as I'm concerned, I've been made whole.

I might reentertain the product when/if v5 comes out. But I'm rather hesitant given the entire experience. They'll have to truly produce something spectacular to earn my business once again.

Good luck, all.
anthonype

Hi Simplify3D,

I am getting really concerned about this upcoming update. My free upgrade period is done this June. I originally wasn't worried about purchasing when I did as Update 5 was promised late 2019. I got really excited when I got the email about V5 coming out in early 2020. Unfortunately we are no longer in early 2020 and you all have been radio silent about absolutely everything. Now don't get me wrong, I love Simplify3D and refuse to go back to Cura but the customer service is really driving me away. I paid around $210 for this software (I'm Canadian) and for that price I would really appreciate even a simple "We're really behind but still working on it" message.

I recently convinced a few friends to get 3D printers and they asked me the other day if I think they should fork out the money for Simplify3D. I originally said yes because I hate Cura and love your software but then I got thinking. I actually told them not to purchase this software and stick with Cura until your team starts giving us something, whether it be a progress update or an actual update. That hurt to say but I can't recommend to someone to spend $200+ dollars and hope it's worth it.

I know you all are most likely working hard to deliver but please take 30 minutes out of your day and give everyone an update on something. I have been reading this forum religiously hoping for something but the only thing that has resulted in is more worries about if I made the right choice. Please give us absolutely anything to help everyone on this forum understand they didn't make the wrong choice.
aruba68

Hello S3D Team,

is there any news about the new version ???
bnagel

I did a trial of Simplify3d in 2016 because of a difficult print-in-place model of a Robot that I couldn't get printed without plastic fusing using Cura and Slicer. I spent a ton of time tweaking both slicers and getting better results but still couldn't reach a point were the plastic didn't fuse preventing parts from moving. During my S3D trial I did that print and on the very first try I printed it using just the built in settings and all the parts moved perfectly. Even the finished model looked better. That right there was when I knew this product was going to save me time and get me doing what I want to do... Print. I bought my copy of Simplify3d in 2016 and have not paid for a upgrade since that time. I expected to have had to pay more years ago for upgrades. To me the price is worth it for time saved alone.

I do wish they would provide some details on version 5.
cybrsage

anthonype wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:32 am
I actually told them not to purchase this software and stick with Cura until your team starts giving us something, whether it be a progress update or an actual update. That hurt to say but I can't recommend to someone to spend $200+ dollars and hope it's worth it.
I have been doing the same thing. I used to love S3D, but with Slic3r PE (Prusa Edition) getting so good, and free, it is impossible to recommend S3D anymore, especially since the 2019 release of V5 never happened. S3D, even as it is now, is better than most free slicers, but is it $200 better? Absolutely not. Especially since we have no idea what V5 will contain or if it is ever released.

S3D's silence only makes things worse.
jaymcd

Love Simplify3D as it provides a great balance between easy to use and advanced capabilities but the lack of communication and information about V5 is disturbing, I would happily pay for an upgrade to get some additional features like native Octoprint integration. S3DChris - what's up ??
TomOH

Nice move - instead of fixing the bugs that are in the old version, let's simply call it a new version and develop some greed to squeeze more money out of the customers who already paid a ridiculous high price to begin with. Nice move.
billyd

@TomOH you are assuming that version 5 will ever ship. Right now it is vaporware, until proven otherwise. And no one would like to see me proven wrong more than myself.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”