Wallabear

Re: Version 5 Announcement

StealthPrint wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:53 pm
S3D-Chris wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:27 pm
criton01 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:22 pm I've routinely requested an update on upgrade pricing. They will not release that detail for some reason. The people who are on 4.1.2 should worry... if you can't tell people who already bought in, how much it will be to continue, then whats the point of keeping the product. I spent the money on the slicer. it really shouldn't be a mystery as to how much it will be.... Really S3D?
We don’t have exact pricing details yet, but we plan to announce that closer to release. If you previously purchased Simplify3D 4.1.2 license in the past, you will not need to buy a full license again, there will only be a small upgrade fee required.
I don't expect a direct answer (sadly), but are you going to honor the FREE UPGRADE for people who purchased around the time of the V5 announcement, now that almost an entire year (conveniently) has been burned? Your statement seems to say "no". Which means you HAVE hung customers out to dry. Would be nice to have a direct answer.
I have been trying to get an answer to that question since I realized that the release was not going to happen in 2019. I have emailed on numerous occasions, and asked the same question on here many times The ONLY answer I keep getting is that my license purchase comes with 12 months of free upgrades. Which also leads me to believe that your assessment is correct. Honestly this is a very fair question that deserves a direct answer, it can even be answered without having "exact pricing details" as there is no pricing involved with this question.
onyxius

Hello,
Whats the update on version 5? I never received any email outside of what was posted in this thread early on "Preparing for Our Biggest Release Yet". I thought there was supposed to be a development release or something to that affect. Has no price been listed either about the upgrade to version 5 either? I feel like there is a lot of lack of info on this new and improved version.

Thanks
Dave
printhatter

Hi, looking forward to any any news about v5 too. Have used Simplity3D since v3 and it has saved me a lot of time and avoided wasting a lot of filament like was happening with other slicers. Am ready to buy the upgrade
themrcaveman

It's now half way 2020 and still not a single word about v5 release.

This is becoming hilarious.. Me is hapilly using prusaslicer... Even my non prusa printers are running via this
Cap10

any update on version 5 ?
jaymcd

I seriously do not understand why no one from Simplify3D will answer this question. It is clear that there is some one still working as there is blogging (Lessons From the Field – 3D Printed Door Openers
Posted May 28, 2020 In COVID-19 ) going on. Why not take a minute and update your customers on what is happening. Response is BASIC customer service and would at least show some courtesy and appreciation to your paying customers. If you are still in business - why would you avoid your customers.

People WANT to use your software and are suggesting they are willing to pay for the V5 upgrade but there is nothing but silence. If you have other priorities or have taken on another job (and have put Simplify3d on hiatus) - at least tell us. This now seems inexplicable and rude,

Jay
th0mpy

Let's not forget about those people who purchased the software, with the assurance that they would receive updates for a year. I am currently sitting at 11 months of use and by all estimations will need to fully re-purchase the software IF I want to continue to use it. I've never received an update because I assume all efforts were being put into 5.0; which I was ok with because that meant I'd get the new version. Guess that's out the window. I might as well donate $150 to Slic3r and use their product instead.
garvyman

Yeah th0mpy, sounds about like me, except my year just ended around the middle of May. And yes, not a single update. If anyone can remember everyone was told how the company would be putting out more info. concerning features, pricing, upgrading, etc. as the release drew nearer(this was even referenced as later in the year by the company in a few places)and that was clearly referring to last year. And yet here we are, middle of 2020, and this whole rollout process has advanced to the point they will no longer even acknowledge it's existence. No mention of version 5 anywhere by the co. on this website now. However, maybe I just don't know where to click, and need someone to point me the way. What I can tell you though, as it turns out, is the years worth of guaranteed updates, at least in my case, netted me absolutely nothing.
Codex404

@thompy @garvyman
I can imagine your big annoyance. I've the same though I bought the software September 2018. When V5 was announced I was told I might have chance of getting it for free as well.
Over time it became clear to me that this company is non functioning. I and a few other people here kept warning people and telling them not buy it until the company had some major restructuring done. Unfortunately those posts kept getting deleted and we got told that we don't know how software development works (which is funny to me since I'm a software developer who is part of a team of devs for a piece of software with over a million users)

The people that kept warning people not to buy it yet were careful with their wording to avoid false allegations. We were positive about the actual software which was ahead of most other slicers around. Over a year later and I don't think that still is true since Simplify stood still while the other slices kept making good progress.

I really think that the software has the potential to get on top again. But the way the company treats people with questions and criticism and my experience in the field tells me that this isn't a fun company to work at either. I know that if I worked at a company like this I would most certainly quit before finding another job. I wouldn't be surprised if at this time there would only be one programmer working on it, which would be the founder of the company, if he is working on it at all.

I really want to stress that the software isn't bad, I'm happy and still using it regularly. though I would never have bought the software with the knowledge I have now.
towatson

I have a suggestion- Open source Simplify3d and just sell support and plugins/enhancements. At least you would have some apparent software development going on.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”