wirlybird

Re: Version 5 Announcement

And AGAIN S3D has nothing of any substance to say EXCEPT it is now the fault of COVID-19. I guess they can't admit their own failures and have to blame someone or something.

With Cura and Slic3r (Prusa Edition) blazing ahead, no COVID-19 slowing them down, S3D is going to find their customer base is dwindling.

If 5 is anything like 4 was then it won't be worth a look even for free.

It is too bad to see since the software has so much potential but this has been and massive fumble (dropped ball?) that has lasted years and versions.
Umpa

With MSLA coming out in large format at super low prices - I can't see S3D lasting anyway. They would need to support these printers, and do it better than the software already available.
minvo

S3D-Jake, thank you for the good news! The lack of update information was very frustrating. I am glad that the work continues.
But I would like to know if the errors in the current version will be fixed? will v4.1.3 be released? Will some new features be added to the old version?
malcinator

There has been some talk around ideamaker lately and how it has that familiar feel to S3D. So much so it does make me wonder if S3D is developing exclusively for ideamaker and leaving S3D as the side project. This of course may well not be the case and just a conspiracy theory on my part, but having installed and used ideamaker for awhile it really does have all the S3D feel when editing the confirations for printers etc.
S3D-Jake

malcinator wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:01 pm ... So much so it does make me wonder if S3D is developing exclusively for ideamaker and leaving S3D as the side project.
False. Simplify3D and it’s developers are full speed ahead on Simplify3D version 5.
minvo wrote: .... I would like to know if the errors in the current version will be fixed? will v4.1.3 be released? Will some new features be added to the old version?
I don’t have any information to share about a possible v4.1.3. However, simply by the nature of bug fix releases (4.1.1, 4.1.2, etc) they would focus on resolving issues and not adding new functionality. If new features were to be added to version 4 they would be in a 4.2 release.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
billyd

LingHunXi wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:33 pm Duke Nukem Forever

Exactly. Never exit the development cycle trying to make it perfect, and then get passed by the entire market. If you ever release, it will be antiquated and likely a total failure.
moggb

next time, don't announce new software major update before typing any new line of it and making a list of a new features maybe? :roll:
Jbc

S3D is my go to slicer.
I think most in here feel the same.
When V5.0 has a ‘Buy and download’ button preceded by a list of new features, not many in here won’t be excited.

I for one will support the company as using this software for by business as well as for personal use has made printing easier than anything out there.

Will it be perfect? No.
Will it get patched a little after it’s release? Yes.
Will it be your go to slicer? More than likely.

FDM will have a place alongside resin printers for years to come.

I’m antsy to get my hands on the software like most in here but will support S3D when 5.0 comes out.

Their software has helped make the additive manufacturing mess less messier for since 2012.

Stay safe and wear a mask.
Jbc
fizzyade

Just registered here and am awaiting delivery of my first 3d printer, I'm a prospective customer but at the moment am holding off purchasing based pretty much on this thread.

Supports seem to be something that this software does well (from what I've read here and around the web) , but it seems that the software has not seen any updates in quite a while and that has put me off buying the software. I'm sure there are many other prospective users who find the apparent silence and slightly disgruntled opinions of users of the software here.

If there was at least some sort of timetable to release or some sort of (no matter how vague) list of new or improved features that are coming in V5 then I might be purchasing sooner rather than later, I guess I'm also put off by not knowing whether if purchasing now I would be eligible for a free upgrade to 5, if the answer to that is no then I will continue to wait and come back when it's available.
S3D-Jake

moggb wrote: next time, don't announce new software major update before typing any new line of it and making a list of a new features maybe? :roll:
The announcement was more about the next update being paid. We felt that it was very important to make sure that fact was clear to our user base early on. I hear your cries for more information and can't wait to share more about this exciting new update.

Jbc wrote: S3D is my go to slicer.
I think most in here feel the same.
When V5.0 has a ‘Buy and download’ button preceded by a list of new features, not many in here won’t be excited.

I for one will support the company as using this software for by business as well as for personal use has made printing easier than anything out there.

Will it be perfect? No.
Will it get patched a little after it’s release? Yes.
Will it be your go to slicer? More than likely.

FDM will have a place alongside resin printers for years to come.

I’m antsy to get my hands on the software like most in here but will support S3D when 5.0 comes out.

Their software has helped make the additive manufacturing mess less messier for since 2012.

Stay safe and wear a mask.
Jbc
Thanks for your take on the situation. We're obviously glad to have made the mess less messy for you for all these years!

fizzyade wrote: Just registered here and am awaiting delivery of my first 3d printer, I'm a prospective customer but at the moment am holding off purchasing based pretty much on this thread.

Supports seem to be something that this software does well (from what I've read here and around the web) , but it seems that the software has not seen any updates in quite a while and that has put me off buying the software. I'm sure there are many other prospective users who find the apparent silence and slightly disgruntled opinions of users of the software here.

If there was at least some sort of timetable to release or some sort of (no matter how vague) list of new or improved features that are coming in V5 then I might be purchasing sooner rather than later, I guess I'm also put off by not knowing whether if purchasing now I would be eligible for a free upgrade to 5, if the answer to that is no then I will continue to wait and come back when it's available.

Thanks for sharing your valuable insight. Hopefully we see you as a S3D user in the future.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”