newbpwnr

150 dollar consumer sofwtware and no updates in over a year?

I paid for good support. Last patch was april of last year?
airscapes

Re: 150 dollar consumer sofwtware and no updates in over a year?

you do realize that $150 for software is like penny candy? There is no yearly maintenance free, your software will continue to work forever.. There are several free slicer, Prusaslicer is actively being developed and free.. go figure.. I am very happy with S3D version 4.01 which I paid $150 for Feb 2018 and it is still working as it did then.. I got my monies worth out of it.. I don't need updates it does what I need. Not sure why people think they should have forever support for $150. Yep the company sucks, they got your money and you got their software.. move on if you don't like how it works. :D
cybrsage

airscapes wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:07 pm you do realize that $150 for software is like penny candy?
If you are a business, sure. In the consumer market, $150 for something whose biggest competitors are free is NOT penny candy.
Not sure why people think they should have forever support for $150.
The company touts free upgrades for a year and free updates and support for the life of the product. There has not been an upgrade for well over a year now, and since the product has yet to be superseded with a newer version, the product is still within its support life.

His complaint is legit, unsure why you think these issues are acceptable and should be considered normal.
airscapes

I am still finding it hard to believe folks thing $150 is a lot of money for something you can use forever without spending any money. How much do you pay for your ISP per month? I am very aware that my Verizon fios bill is $219 a month, every month and if I stop paying I can't use it anymore. My a&t mobile bill is $52 a month, when I put gas in my car and my wifes car that is another $100 that once used, it's gone.. you get the idea.. S3D said they would do xyz and didn't, time to start looking at other software including the Opensource stuff that is... wait for it.. Free! S3D knows the folks that bought the product are not happy, they keep removing the posts when people complain. They don't want to scare off the new folks so they can keep selling that $150 software that no one will every buy again. The companies business model for repeat revenue is apparently not doing so well.. My guess is V5 will be subscription based if they ever figure it out..
XoTT@6bI4

airscapes wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:19 pm I am very aware that my Verizon fios bill is $219 a month, every month and if I stop paying I can't use it anymore. My a&t mobile bill is $52 a month, when I put gas in my car and my wifes car that is another $100 that once used, it's gone.. you get the idea...
My at mobile bill is $35 a month for 6 phones include home internet. I use public transportation for $30 a month to get to work. Everyone has different prices and opportunities :D
airscapes

XoTT@6bI4 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:31 am
airscapes wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:19 pm I am very aware that my Verizon fios bill is $219 a month, every month and if I stop paying I can't use it anymore. My a&t mobile bill is $52 a month, when I put gas in my car and my wifes car that is another $100 that once used, it's gone.. you get the idea...
My at mobile bill is $35 a month for 6 phones include home internet. I use public transportation for $30 a month to get to work. Everyone has different prices and opportunities :D
WoW what country are you in? I need to move there!
doug_scott

XoTT@6bI4 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:31 am
What country do you live in? In Toronto a monthly TTC pass for adults is $156.00, or essentially the cost of Simplify3d. $150US may not be a lot of money for some people, for others it is a major expense. Personally, I am retired, my monthly income is now less than what I was paying for income tax on my monthly earnings at their peak.

There will always be users that claim to be more than happy with a product they purchased, and do not see the need to keep up with the feature set in the firmware that gets added to/changed daily, good for you. The feature request forum shows what others are asking for. Some users get used to doing work around solutions that they believe that is the way it is supposed to work. Other users just cannot accept using work arounds.

Part of the "sell" presented to new users is the idea of free upgrades in the first year. This implies that they are going to produce upgrades to the software. 4.1 was released Nov 5, 2018. That will be 2 years in 60 days. I bought over a year ago, and because of my background in the software development environment, software that is a year old is rapidly falling behind. Don't get me wrong, software advancement has slowed down a bit from its peak, but, a healthy viable company must release updated versions yearly at a minimum. The longer it gets stretched out, the faster new sales drop, new sales is a slippery slope at the best of times. Customers are generally pretty savvy when it comes to software lifetimes.

There has not been any information regarding alpha or even beta testing being run with v5.0. You can count on at least of month of each testing phase. This type of software cannot depend on keeping beta testing internal. Far too many variables to possibly test internally. Having been involved in beta testing over the decades generally lasted a minimum of 60 days. I have not found any feature list for v5.0 online, is there one? The feature list is created before anything else is done. It must be nailed down, and not changed during coding. The quickest way to kill development scheduling is to fall victim to feature creep. I think we are at least 6 months away from a properly coded software upgrade.
XoTT@6bI4

airscapes wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:44 am WoW what country are you in? I need to move there!
I live in the Russian Federation. Don't forget that my country has a different level of wages. After deducting taxes, it turns out that the average salary in the country is $ 6000 per year, and in the capital in the IT sector on average is $ 20,000 - $ 30,000 per year.

In our country, $ 150 is a third of a month's salary for many people.

P.S. We usually specify the salary for a month, not for a week or a year.
studiodyne

I am of the same opinion, it is true, the updates are nonexistent, but if one looks more closely, this software is better than the others. It's not perfect, but it still offers a way to do what we need 'scripts and the like', so our real problem is that this software is 'exciting' because it's our passion, and we love it. see small features flourish, but it is 3d software, and programming on 3d is not as easy as with accounting software. But I admit that I would like to see little things appear from time to time, and to tell you the truth if you knew how much I love when the software tells me 'New version', but, unfortunately I did not have this pleasure often
airscapes

XoTT@6bI4 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:58 am
I live in the Russian Federation. Don't forget that my country has a different level of wages. After deducting taxes, it turns out that the average salary in the country is $ 6000 per year, and in the capital in the IT sector on average is $ 20,000 - $ 30,000 per year.

In our country, $ 150 is a third of a month's salary for many people.

P.S. We usually specify the salary for a month, not for a week or a year.
Point taken! I sometimes forget this is an international site. I wish you luck on your free upgrade when/if they can ever put out a never version. From what I have seen over the years, my personal opinion is there will be no updates to the 4x tree if the release 5x. They have been talking about the vapor v5 for over a year now..

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”