emaayan

Shrink RATE , should be added to filament properties

while i'm aware of dimensional adjustments in "other" tab, i believe this a resulting factor of the filament shrinkage rate.
so it would make sense to have this right next to filament diameter.

(actually it would make a whole lot more sense, that filament properties, should actually be updated from "auto configure for material") i have no idea why it's separate, especially since if effects flow rate.
S3D-Jake

Re: Shrink RATE , should be added to filament properties

Thanks for the great idea! I'll be sure to mention this one to our developers. As for adding filament properties to the autoconfigure for materials options, you can add almost any setting you want to the auto configures. Editing an FFF profile was explained it great detail here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5977
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
emaayan

thanks, this basically means i can request another feature , an "update material" button next to the + - buttons that will do the exact same thing the post says.
Omikron

+1 for this as well. Having a per-material shrinkage value that can be saved and loaded automatically upon selection is key for folks who have to switch materials often.
S3D-Jake

Like I alluded to in my post last year, you can add Horizontal Size Compensation to the material auto configure options. Below I'll go further into detail on how to add this setting to your autoconfigure for material presets.

at line 190 of the default profile you'll see the following:

Code: Select all

<horizontalSizeCompensation>0</horizontalSizeCompensation>
If you want to add this to any certain material preset you will need to add the default to all presets. (This step allows the setting to be set to different values based on which preset is chosen.) The default profile has settings for PLA, ABS, PVA, and Nylon. You can append the horizontalSizeCompensation tag to the end of each section. Example below.

Code: Select all

<autoConfigureMaterial name="PLA">
    <globalExtruderTemperature>190</globalExtruderTemperature>
    <globalBedTemperature>60</globalBedTemperature>
    <globalExtrusionMultiplier>0.9</globalExtrusionMultiplier>
    <fanSpeed>
      <setpoint layer="1" speed="0"/>
      <setpoint layer="2" speed="100"/>
    </fanSpeed>
  </autoConfigureMaterial>
  <autoConfigureMaterial name="ABS">
    <globalExtruderTemperature>225</globalExtruderTemperature>
    <globalBedTemperature>100</globalBedTemperature>
    <globalExtrusionMultiplier>1</globalExtrusionMultiplier>
    <fanSpeed>
    </fanSpeed>
  </autoConfigureMaterial>
  <autoConfigureMaterial name="PVA">
    <globalExtruderTemperature>195</globalExtruderTemperature>
    <globalBedTemperature>80</globalBedTemperature>
    <fanSpeed>
      <setpoint layer="2" speed="100"/>
    </fanSpeed>
  </autoConfigureMaterial>
  <autoConfigureMaterial name="Nylon">
    <globalExtruderTemperature>220</globalExtruderTemperature>
    <globalBedTemperature>80</globalBedTemperature>
    <fanSpeed>
    </fanSpeed>
  </autoConfigureMaterial>
After this has been completed, each of your material presets will now update the horizontal size compensation setting to use 0mm. You can import the profile back into Simplify3D with File > Import FFF Profile. When you update the value of horizontal size compensation in the GUI and save the changes to your profile the material you have selected will have that value saved specifically to that material.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
Omikron

Jake, is there a single comprehensive resource available for guidelines and limitations of manually editing FFF profiles? I see bits and pieces in threads throughout the forum but no comprehensive resource int the Support area.
S3D-Jake

Omikron wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:42 pm Jake, is there a single comprehensive resource available for guidelines and limitations of manually editing FFF profiles? I see bits and pieces in threads throughout the forum but no comprehensive resource int the Support area.
We've not published anything comprehensive on the subject at this point. It's an area of the software's functionality which is certainly only meant to be delved into by very advanced users.

Is there something more specific you'd like to accomplish by externally editing your profile? Perhaps someone has tried it before and I can point you in the right direction.
Omikron

S3D-Jake wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:20 am
Omikron wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:42 pm Jake, is there a single comprehensive resource available for guidelines and limitations of manually editing FFF profiles? I see bits and pieces in threads throughout the forum but no comprehensive resource int the Support area.
We've not published anything comprehensive on the subject at this point. It's an area of the software's functionality which is certainly only meant to be delved into by very advanced users.

Is there something more specific you'd like to accomplish by externally editing your profile? Perhaps someone has tried it before and I can point you in the right direction.
I consider myself an advanced user, but I shouldn't have to guess at the behavior of the software or how to configure certain aspects.

Specifically I am looking for:

1. What methods can be used to have various settings overrode and set by machine, quality, or material.
2. Information about what things can break those carefully curated profiles from working as expected. Once settings have been "moved" to other areas in the XML file, does changing an associated setting in the GUI simply change the value, or does it also change it's position in the XML, thus reverting to the default S3D functionality for that setting? I have seen some posts indicate that it shouldn't break anything, but I've also seen other posts that indicate once a setting is modified manually in the FFF it should not be modified in the GUI.
3. Regarding the horizontal size compensation, is there a way to input a percentage? Inputting a value in mm is not helpful considering different models will have different values here.

The lack of official documentation or guidance makes this very difficult to understand. I don't see the reason why many of these things can't be compiled into a single KB article for use by advanced users.
parallyze

Omikron wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:08 pm I consider myself an advanced user
Omikron wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:08 pm 3. Regarding the horizontal size compensation, is there a way to input a percentage? Inputting a value in mm is not helpful considering different models will have different values here.
If your model shrinks by let's say 3% horizontal size compensation won't fix that, that's not really what it's there for.

Example:
Shrink_1.JPG

Assumed shrink by 3%:
Shrink_2.JPG
To get the holes (48.5mm diameter) up to their original size you'd need to use a negative value. But this will also further reduce
the outer dimensions of the part (164.9mm wide).

And even if this would work somehow - it wouldn't fix the two holes now being too close to each other (97mm instead of 100mm).
zemlin

I am able to get accurate geometry typically within +/- 0.1mm on my parts using the methodology outlined in this thread using my Calibration Cross test print an the accompanying spreadsheet to calculate part scaling factors and horizontal offset.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6130

It takes a bit of practice with the spreadsheet to learn how to get the results, but once you get your head wrapped around it, it's very reliable and repeatable.

Return to “Feature Requests”