gwhite

OK, Time to Start Yet Another "Where is Version 5? " Thread

It's been since April of 2109 since there was ANY software update (that's 18 months!). It's been since December of 2019 since they said it would be ready in "early 2020", after missing the "end of 2019" deadline (10 months).

Well, it's mid-October 2020. We haven't heard anything concrete besides the email that they've been busy with COVID PPE work, and that Version 5 is still in the works. That was in July (3 months ago).

No info on dates, no info on features, and no info on pricing. Also, no info on what happens to customers who purchased the software in 2019 with the promise that version 5 would out be within the 1 year "free upgrade period", only to be left in the lurch.

So, does the appalling lack of communications continue, or are we going to get some real info this time?

Thanks!
Omikron

Re: OK, Time to Start Yet Another "Where is Version 5? " Thread

When someone shows you who they are, believe them.

S3D has never shown any sign of being meaningfully transparent about anything going on regarding timeline, features, cost, etc, nor have they been able to meet any of the self-imposed guidelines that they've set for releases, so why should now be any different? I don't think we will get any information about it until one day it is actually released, should that day come.

Their position regarding upgrades whenever anyone has asked about this has been "we include 1 year of free upgrades". I would not expect a free upgrade for anyone who does not fall within those strict parameters. At most, if we're lucky, we'll get a small discount for being an existing customer.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
RoboDLC

I contacted them last week about this.
They said that they are not ready to announce a new release, nor to announce what will be in it.

I told them that the natives are restless. They do not appear to be impressed...

Being that reticent, they must have broken something or lost a key developer who left them in the lurch.
Oh, well, fortunately, what is currently running is good enough for what I do, but it is getting pretty dated.

DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.
NickelPLate

RoboDLC wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:08 pm I contacted them last week about this.
They said that they are not ready to announce a new release, nor to announce what will be in it.

I told them that the natives are restless. They do not appear to be impressed...

Being that reticent, they must have broken something or lost a key developer who left them in the lurch.
Oh, well, fortunately, what is currently running is good enough for what I do, but it is getting pretty dated.

DLC
I feel the same way. It's still works the best for me but as you said is becoming dated. I bought it over a year ago and even then people were complaining about the lack of V5. I thought back then that surely by now they would have released a major update but now I've pretty much come to the conclusion that there isn't going to ever be a version 5. :(
DebraInore

OK Time to Start Yet Another "Where is Version 5 " Thread

Thanks Paulo57509. I have a sedan so even if they give me the one for the coupe, it should be long enough since you experienced the coupe one as being the longer of the two. Right ?
http://xevil.net/
Omikron

DLC
I agree, something has been off for quite some time.

Either they lost some key developers, or they had disaster of some kind that involved losing a good chunk of source code and now they've had to re-build everything from scratch. There really isn't much else that would explain the apparent complete work stoppage over the past few years.

I mean... no bugfixes or point updates in this long?

Take a look at S3D-Chris's post from APRIL 2019 about the release of 4.1.2:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13070
We are excited to announce that Simplify3D Version 4.1.2 is now available to download! This update features new Vase Mode improvements and resolves several issues identified on this forum. For the full list of Version 4.1.2 updates, bug fixes and improvements please refer to our Release Notes Page. Our team will also be updating all related forum topics over the next few days to mark specific bugs and requests that were added in Version 4.1.2.

This update will be rolled out to our customers over the next few days, but if you want to download Simplify3D Version 4.1.2 now, you can do so by logging into your Simplify3D Account and proceed to the Downloads page.

Our team remains dedicated to improving Version 4 and we have multiple updates planned for 2019. At the same time, we continue to make significant progress with the development of Version 5.0. Stay tuned for more details in future development updates!

Have an idea for a new feature that you want to see in the next software update? Let us know by submitting a feature request. Our developers are already working on the next software update and are eager to get your ideas!
So what happened to those "multiple updates" that were planned in 2019?
RealityTake2

That's funny because they did announce a new release.. a long long time ago (I'm not going to look it up -sorry) and the release has gone way beyond every timeline they've offered. Don't forget that they did announce what's going to be in it -- "over 70 customer feature requests." :lol:

I expect exactly zero news on this until -- maybe -- someday there is... but if they can't offer a feature list and don't have any idea when it will be done this late in the game, I'm not going to hold my breath.
Billzilla

As a long-time user of S3D, I am certainly looking forwards to version 5, but equally if the upgrade cost is too high then I'll be staying with 4.1.
I'd be happy to pay about, say, US$30 for the upgrade but anything more than that and I doubt I'll buy the upgrade.
themrcaveman

sorry but my hope is gone. Prusaslicer is the way to go now!
cybrsage

themrcaveman wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:40 pm sorry but my hope is gone. Prusaslicer is the way to go now!
I think they may have done it. The alpha version of the next release of PrusaSlicer has ironing, but more importantly it has "paint on" support placement (or support denial) locations. So if you want to only support one area, you just paint that area and the supports all appear only there.

Have to test it out myself to see how well it works, but that really cuts deep into the biggest pro for using S3D. V5 has to step up its game.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”