feste

White screen

for no reason today simplify 3d does not open. I took away my preferences, reinstalled the application, but it doesn't work. I uninstalled, reinstalled, but it doesn't work again.

I work in windows 10 with icore 9 and Nvidia Quadro Rtx 4000
parallyze

Re: White screen

feste wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:25 pm for no reason today simplify 3d does not open.
If you're only getting a white window you might want to have a look at this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14895

You might want to check if you can still activate the menu bar by clicking in the top area of the "white windowed" S3D:
s3d_graphics_options_a.JPG
s3d_graphics_options.JPG
I get this error when setting the acceleration mode to "compatibility mode", all other options do work without any problems. This
might be different for you but maybe worth a try.
dyorkey

Not running dell apps, have Windows 10 Pro.

Having same white screen problem, after iCloud installation.

Uninstalled iCloud
Uninstalled Simplify3D and Licencing (Licensing must be removed, or this does not resolve issue)
Install Simplify3D

White screen solved, until I installed iCloud again and white screen issue came back.

How do I get Simplify3D working after iCloud installation?
feste

I don't have iCloud - on the white screen in parentheses I read (unresponsive). I can't activate those windows he's talking about above.

I apologize, but I mistakenly wrote another post not having been notified of this, which I have now activated.
feste

I liked Simplify 3d so much and I always used it with familiarity. Now having the program blocked for no reason and not being able to do anything is frustrating.
parallyze

feste wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:25 am on the white screen in parentheses I read (unresponsive). I can't activate those windows he's talking about above.
Okay, so S3D seems to be really "stuck" when starting. Two things I'd recommend to check would be:

1. Try removing the "last saved state". If there's a STL stuck which S3D can't handle for whatever reason this might be the culprit.
(delete file %localappdata%\Simplify3D\savedState.factory, or c:\users\<user>\AppData\Local\Simplify3D)

2. If that doesn't work, maybe have a look at the settings for the acceleration mode inside the registry, like mentioned here. Judging by the
white window you're seeing I assume deleting the geometry keys mentioned in that thread won't be relevant to you.
feste

the first option is not valid because I had deleted the whole folder. That's not it.
of the second link I didn't understand anything. Perhaps I could not enter the application the changes of a registry make changes to the application as well as if I applied them with the menu? But where are these registry?
parallyze

feste wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:08 pm the first option is not valid because I had deleted the whole folder. That's not it.
of the second link I didn't understand anything. Perhaps I could not enter the application the changes of a registry make changes to the application as well as if I applied them with the menu? But where are these registry?
Ah, okay. You mentioned deleting the preferences, I wasn't sure what that applied to. Preferences/Settings are stored inside the Windows Registry. As far as I know S3Ds keys aren't removed when uninstalling, so maybe simply renaming the key and forcing S3D to do a "clean start" might be worth a try.

Note:
Changes inside the registry can have dramatic impacts if deleting/changing wrong settings. So I suggest saving/exporting keys you're doing changes to first. Also you will probably have to re-register your copy of s3d because the user/password/token are stored within those keys.

All you need to do is open regedit.exe/registry editor. Navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Simplify3D

There you should find another hive called "S3D-Software". Export that one (File -> Export) and rename it afterwards. S3D should do
a clean start now like it hasn't been installed before.

(The key for acceleration mode I was talking about can be found here: HKCU\SOFTWARE\Simplify3D\S3D-Software\MainOptions, in case you want to try that.)

This is what it looks like in RegEdit:
regedit.JPG
feste

I found what you indicated, but I didn't understand what to do. But does a person who uses software really have to do these things in order to use it? I liked the simplicity of Simplify3d... but if I have to do such operations it is not at all simple and - as far as I am told - it is also risky.

I think Windows has changed something. Am I the only one who has this problem?
parallyze

feste wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:44 am I found what you indicated, but I didn't understand what to do. But does a person who uses software really have to do these things in order to use it? I liked the simplicity of Simplify3d... but if I have to do such operations it is not at all simple and - as far as I am told - it is also risky.
Yes, doing manipulations inside the registry can have impacts as windows and installed programs do store quite
a lot of information/settings there. That's why I recommend exporting/saving any key before doing changes. Those
exported keys are simple plain text files which can be reimported to undo the changes one made.

By simply renaming "S3D-Software" to "S3D-Software-bak" S3D won't be using the settings from the registry and start
like a fresh copy. This is the key renamed and S3D asking for my credentials on the next start.

If you did not see that login dialog when uninstalling/reinstalling S3D its an indicator for settings left in the registry.
rename_a.JPG
rename_b.JPG
(note how "S3D-Software" got recreated already inside the registry right after starting S3D)

And no. A normal user should not have to do that. Did you contact S3D support and ask for help? I guess if they wanted a user to
do something like that they probably can provide a more convenient solution (script/tool) to "reset" everything for S3D on a
certain machine.

But as long as those keys inside the registry exist, S3D will never behave like a "fresh installation" on that machine.
I think Windows has changed something. Am I the only one who has this problem?
Check the update log to verify. Did you even read the thread I linked above?

There's quite a lot of people who experienced issues after Windows updates. Often its some issues with graphic card drivers, some people
had problems with preinstalled services running on their machine.
Last edited by parallyze on Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”