Nismo370z

Simplify3d with Octoprint

Anyone have experience/knowledge/anything to do with getting S3D to work with Octoprint, in lieu of the free-open-source alternative app?
SimpleScott

Re: Simplify3d with Octoprint

If you mean easily transferring files from S3D to Octoprint....
1. You can save to disk from S3D, then bring up an Octoprint browser window and "drag-n-drop" the file into Octoprint. OR
2. You can setup SAMBA on your Octoprint host, share Octoprint's "watched" folder, and map that folder as a disk on your computer. Then "save" from S3D directly to that mapped network drive (Octoprint sees the file, and processes it into Octoprint's file list). OR
3. You can use a CURL command (if your computer has CURL) as an S3D post-processing command to transfer the sliced file.

All of those methods (and more) are discussed in the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1924&hilit=octoprint

However... If you mean not only transfer files, but control the printer (like jogging, setting temp, etc), monitor status during print, and see webcam -- like you can with the plugin for that free-open-source-alternative-app -- there isn't any way to do that with S3D right now.

I personally use the SAMBA method.... That works really well for file transfer. S3D "remembers" the last save location, so the "Save Toolpaths to Disk" dialog defaults to the shared drive and all I have to do is click "save". Then I control/monitor the printer via Octoprint, either in web browser or iphone app.
Last edited by SimpleScott on Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
airscapes

The way I have it set up is Octoprint on a Raspberry Pi , Pi connected to printer via usb and network via cat5. On my PC I open S3d, slice the model, save to a directory on the PC, switch to my browser that is logged in to the Octoprint web interface, upload the file from the pc and print. You can control your printer from within octoprint, S3D is just used for slicing. If you save to a network drive as has been said, you can then upload from any pc on the network. I also have a monitor keyboard and mouse connected to the pi so I can control the printer right next to it.
spina

I just followed the guide here (https://all3dp.com/2/simplify3d-octopri ... -together/) to make it so when I save a sliced file, Simplify posts it to my OctoPrint automatically. It appears right after I save the file. It's a really slick workflow and so far has given me no problems at all. It's the nicest integration I can imagine short of running Simplify3D as a plugin in OctoPrint (which would be even better).
crowninvesting

Hi, I am using the following curl command in the post processing section and it works great.

curl -k -H "X-Api-Key: 1111111222222233333444455555" -F "select=false" -F "print=false" -F "file=@[output_filepath]" "http://octopi.local/api/files/local"

I have a question though. I have folders setup, how can I change the line "http://octopi.local/api/files/local" to save the file to a specific folder on my Raspberry?

Thanks

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”