tenaja

S3D Ironing method, using a Process

There have been a lot of requests for ironing on here. I, myself, have switched to Cura, partly for this capability, among other things--the prints just look so much better with Ironing on.

But, has anybody else tried just creating an extra Process that performs a pseudo-ironing? Sure, it is not a checkbox, but it should work, for flat parts, anyway. I am waiting (could not wait!) for one to finish printing, and although perhaps tedious to set up the first time (an extra process for every flat surface), that should go faster like any other setup learning curve.

This method should work as an alternative until S3d implements it. Unfortunately, I got so excited about trying it that I forgot to change my nozzle to the .4mm I sliced, so the settings will be a little blobby. Also, I need to tune the low speed Ironing outline overlap.
This photo is the "before" any ironing has taken place on the right-hand side (it has done the left, up to the groove):
S3D fake iron 3.jpg
And this is some "after", while it is part way done:
S3D fake iron 1.jpg
My nozzle is .3mm (was supposed to be .4), and I used these settings:
Nozzle Diameter and Extrusion Width set to .2,
Layer Height .04mm,
speed at 20mm/sec. (Yes, this is a fast iron; since I am testing the concept...)
Dimensional Adjustment -.2 (to make up for fudging the nozzle "size" & make an edge offset)

So, I count this as a success.

And, yes, I know my flow rates need a adjustment, and my Z axis is wonky on this machine, but it was fine for testing this theory. I typically use Cura now, because of the many things they've surpassed S3D on, this being a big one. However, with this new technique, if I get S3D dialed in for this machine, the lack of Ironing will be moot.
(Lower layers are .32mm, .12mm/layer for the height of the groove, then the "iron" layer...and there is another Z section that adds another 20mm, so the print will not be done for a while; that's why you are getting clips cutting out my hot end.)

Have fun!
TimKatarn

Re: S3D Ironing method, using a Process

Nice work. I love to see these type of posts since this is a professional level software and we should be able to create custom processes for many of the 'features' other slicers have incorporated. I'll be testing this next.
airscapes

If I need ironing I just slice with Prusaslicer 3.x it is more or less the same as S3D and setting transfer 1 to 1 for my use.
tenaja

airscapes wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:01 pm If I need ironing I just slice with Prusaslicer 3.x it is more or less the same as S3D and setting transfer 1 to 1 for my use.
I wish I could, too, but Prusa slicer does not have coast & wipe, so I need to wait until I upgrade my controller. My controller does not have Pressure Advance.

I often use Cura now, mainly for the ironing. However, I really miss S3D's interface and gcode simulator, so I wanted to see what I could do to make up for it in S3d.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”