tmorris9

Bad seam on printed tubes. Need to solve ASAP

So I have a job creating some special parts and all of a sudden I am getting nasty looking seams on tube shapes. I use a TAZ 4 and am using the same preferences I have been using successfully for some time now. I always check my filament diameter on new rolls. I am just lost as to why this is so bad.

I am pretty sure it's where the layer height changes. I have played a bit with retraction but does not seem to have much affect. It's normally set to 1.70mm per the TAZ 3 prefs. I tried moving it up to 3.00 but while it looked a little different, it was not better.

Any ideas?

ABS, 230c, 85c bed, .35mm nozzle, .2mm layer height, 3600 mm/m, 3mm fil (2.88 actual),
Attachments
seam3.jpg
seam2.jpg
Seam1.jpg
jimc

Re: Bad seam on printed tubes. Need to solve ASAP

What is your coasting and restart distance set to? Is this a new roll of plastic?
tmorris9

Coasting 0.20 (but the coast to end box is not checked)

Extra restart distance is 0.00

It's good filament and I actually ended up reverting back to Slic3r for this item and it printed fine so I know I must have something set wrong.
jimc

if the coast box is not checked then its not on. its really hard to tell whats going on from looking at that pic. its either too much plastic and its blobbing all over or its not enough plastic. in most instances people have too much plastic ooze out after a rapid movement so you enable coasting which stops pushing filament "x" distance from the end of a line. this help relieve pressure. then the wipe cycle kicks in which without extruding back tracks over the end of the line it just finished. after that it retracts and moves. restart extrudes "x" distance of filament before the next line starts. this can be a negative value and really helps if you still are having blobs form at the beginning of a line. since i cant tell what you have going on there you are really going to have to mess with it. first thing i would do is turn on coasting to about 1.6mm as a starting point. turn the wipe feature on at the default 5mm. leave restart at 0 for now. retraction will vary depending on extruder and hotend. i retract 1.4mm with a direct drive e3dv6 using abs.
tmorris9

Wanted to thank you. I put in the settings you gave me and it's cleared up 99%. So I think I can tinker with those numbers a bit and get it 100%.
jimc

no problem, anytime!
pyronaught

I'm getting these same kind of seams when printing tubes when the concentric infill mode is used. The blobs build up at the point where a circle starts and ends, be it one of the perimeters or the internal fill circles. Each blob adds to the previous blob so that even though they start out small, by the time a layer completes it grows into a pretty big defect. These seams also have pin-hole leaks when the parts are pressurized with air internally. When I used the suggested coast and wipe settings it got rid of the problem, but then created a new problem where there are pin holes created at regular intervals in a spiral pattern that runs up the tube from end to end. I reduced coast from 1.6 to .5 mm but that did not change it, so it appears to be the wipe feature causing it. It looks as though the extrusion stops short of completing a full circle. When wipe is turned off the blob problem returns.
scottdanesi

Hi Everyone,
I am also getting this same issue with my Ultimaker Original. It seems as if Simplify3D is creating a bit of overlap at the start-point of the cylinder.

I am not convinced that this has to do completely with the retraction as the outer layer will not retract on my print as it moves right to the inside perimeter after the outside is complete. I am not experiencing this issue with the same model when I use Cura as my slicer.

Could Simplyfy3D be overlapping the start points? Is there a setting that can back this off?

Thank you!
--Scott
--Scott Danesi
www.danesidesigns.com
mdlucca

same thing here, I've tried all sort of combos in the Ooze control and nothing , those blobs are always there. I cant believe that the same cylinder (with same retraction settings -distance and speed) prints just fine when sliced with CURA.
I like simplify 3d and and the overall quality of the prints but I am tired of those blobs.
More over where is a detailed guide that explain every single feature of the software? I think it should be a must for what the app costs versus free slicers...

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”