Danieldownload

printing hole for motor shaft

Hi there,

I use a small motor to drive window the blinds in our home. The only problem I have is the motor coupling. The printed hole which takes the motor shaft is not really vertically printed, so it ends up in a wobbling movement.

Is there anything I can do to improve the print result?

Motor + Connector
IMG_3365 2 Kopie.jpg
IMG_3366 Kopie.jpg
dkightley

Re: printing hole for motor shaft

The first thing I would do is to modify the part so that the hole is much deeper ....so the bottom of the hub almost reaches the gearbox frame.

Those motor/gearbox combos do have an enormous flat milled in the shaft, and to get a well aligned fit, you do need the hub right down on the shaft where there's no flat.

You might also make the hole a little tight....and then using an exact size drill (or even a reamer) hand ream the hole to exact size.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
Danieldownload

Thx for the feedback,

the motor is mounted to a plastic plate of 3 mm, so there is no more space to push the shaft deeper into the moving part. 1 extra mm is needed between the mounting plate and the moving part.

I have another approach:

My printer is an Anycubic i3 S, the printer is levelled quite good. Anyway I think the problem comes from the situation, that the upper part of the printer is not perfectly perpendicular to the printing beds Y axis.

I hope I find time tonight or tomorrow to check this.

An indicator that the problem lies there is, that the difference in the printed part comes up in the Y axis.
tenaja

dkightley wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:48 pm The first thing I would do is to modify the part so that the hole is much deeper ....so the bottom of the hub almost reaches the gearbox frame.

Those motor/gearbox combos do have an enormous flat milled in the shaft, and to get a well aligned fit, you do need the hub right down on the shaft where there's no flat.

You might also make the hole a little tight....and then using an exact size drill (or even a reamer) hand ream the hole to exact size.
Yup, Looks like a pebkac error. :P
It's an easy fix, like dkightley said. But if you depend on drilling it out, you will also need a set screw.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”