Johnm

Re: Simplify3D on iOS

I am running the current software on my 2011 Macbook pro.
S3D-Jake wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:18 pm Thanks for all the great ideas and discussion. Our app has been optimized for Windows tablets and 2 in 1's for quite some time now. I'll log this as a feature request for our development team.
Johnm

I now have the 2020 iPad Pro. It is a perfect candidate for running Simplify3D. I am running Simplify3D right now on my early 2011 iPad Pro. So, there shouldn't be any reason that the iPad is not powerful enough to run Simplify3D. Also Apple is coming out with the new Macs with Apple silicon. Similar chip to what is in the iPad and iPhone. Unofficially, Programs written for the iPad should run on the new Macs. Killing 2 birds with one stone, here. I was thinking of maybe getting a new Mac with Apple Silicone and running Shapr3D an iPad app on the mac. A work around. But, if the new Macs don't have a Touch screen then that would not work. I personally would not want to use Simplify3D on an iPhone. Screen to small. But on a iPad Mini or larger screen I would love it. I think on the iPhone starting and stopping a print would be Ok. On my Mac I have to wake it up by going directly to the Mac every time I want to connect to it. Or tell the mac to never go to sleep. Not a streamlined process. When the only program I use my Mac for is Simplify3D. I use Repetier Server on a Raspberry Pi3. I love it. Great touch interface when connecting from my iPad. Again, I would love to take the Mac out of the equation.
Omikron

I would definitely be interested in S3D on iPadOS, but considering that they've been unsuccessful in releasing so much as a bug-fix update over the last two years, I question the use of resources being put into yet another platform.
abhayphougat

it makes all the more sense to have simplify3d for a iPad Pro now. 3D modelling done on a pro can be directly moved for slicing and then directly to a 3D printer. Interestingly with the new ARM based M1 chips the same software can be used for mac's. So no lost cusomers but happy customers. Intersingly the Simplify3D team should think about it. Rather then just numbers of votes they should think about the platform as the platforms will change drastically in coming time. People are looking for portability due to change in work culture due to CoviD. and there is nothing more portable than an iPad Pro for quality tasks. I think the same thing should happen for other software providers. Don't be like Nokia be like Apple.
AntoineH

Hi everyone and happy holidays !

I'd also like a version of Simply3D on iOS.
Recently, I have been trying to simplify my work process, and I would love to be able to work only with an IPad pro. Currently, i mainly work with Affinity Designer, Fusion 360 and Simplify 3D on a PC. Affinity works with IOS, my alternative for Fusion 360 would definitely be Shapr3d. But about the slicer, there is currently no "viable" alternative.
I think the first Slicer to develop an IOS version will attract a lot of people. It would be great to be able to work only on this tablet. Many people around me also hope that this day will come.

I would even be ready to pay for this version and abandon my PC version, which is for the moment the only thing preventing me from getting away from my desk.

( Sorry for my English, i'm French )

Antoine
JNEWMAN

Yes agreed although this should be open to alliPad models I have an iPad Air 3 that runs Siemens Shapr3D perfectly well, and that requires way more computer power than S3D to be fair it would run on the standard entry level iPad.
AntoineH

Yes you're right, when i say "Ipad Pro", I especially want to say IPad Os in fact. This also includes the iPad air since version 2. Anyway, since the arrival of the ARM architecture on mac with the M1, I think it would be much easier to port Simplify3d on Ipad than before. I hope that version 5 of simplify3d, if it ever arrives, will be M1 compatible. Otherwise one day or another we will no longer be able to open the application (like PowerPC and Intel several years ago).

If this new version ever comes out, I really hope that an Ipad Os version will come.

Another interesting alternative would be a web version of Simplify. With a web version, we could use Simplify3d with anything! I think it would be very interesting. And that would fix some issues, especially related to the compatibility run to the latest system ... Simplify3d is not known for its regular updates :D . So this could prevent us from being afraid with each system evolution.

Antoine
VirtualBrown

I would pay for Simplify 3D if it worked on my iPad, currently I don’t see enough benefit to make the expense.
bird_dog36

I would like to have Simplify 3D for IOS as well. I just upgrade on version 5 on my computer and it's great. I also just got a iPad Air 5 and I'm trying to move most of my workflow on it since it's surprisingly powerful. I'm modeling with the free version of OnShape and it's very intuitive moving from Solidworks. I must admit it's a little slower to work on but for small parts on the go, it's very good. So, S3D on my iPad would complete it very well.
Johnm

;Just to add to this discussion, I would LOOOOOVE to have Simplify3D on my Ipad Pro M2.
For 2 Reasons:
1: I design with Shapr3D on my iPad, Already. So having Simplify3D on my ipad would streamline the development process. Instead of going back and forth between my iPad and My MacBook Pro M1 Max.
2: Using the Apple iPad Pencil on the iPad is much easier to rotate an object opposed to using your finger on the mac trackpad. Also a big thing is Drawing on Supports. I get so frustrated using my finger on the trackpad. I hate it!!! The Apple Pencil would make this process SOOOOO MUCH easier. Also using touch gestures on the iPad touch screen is so much easier than using touch gesture on the MacBook Touch Pad.
I would even be willing to pay another Upgrade Fee for the iPad version. I know this does not seem like a big enough update to design an iPad version but I would BET many users would buy this version if available.

Return to “Feature Requests”