audryhome

Re: OK, Time to Start Yet Another "Where is Version 5? " Thread

OK think it's time to release S3D file format, just to allow legacy factory files data to be reused in another software.

In my view, should be a composite file with STLs and specific data chunks (3D matrix, some process data), everything needed from a factory file to produce a print session. Not very complicated to unwind.

Does anybody have an idea of this format?
smeagollum

teamcarlisle wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:01 pm I consider S3D abandonware at this point. I tell everyone to avoid it now. I'm pretty sure V5 was never in the works, they made vague statements to hype up the software for one last surge of purchases before they ultimately just drop it. To be honest I'm surprised their webpage and servers still run.
I agree completely, and your last point is a worry for those that still wants to use the existing version of S3D. As we all know, it obtains it's licensing online, and when those servers shut down, the software becomes unuseable. That means one would have to obtain a cracked version to keep using it. It would be better if the last version was posted as freeware when they close the doors for good.
DonStauffer

Their way of "selling" software ensures I won't buy their products again without a radical change. Just for example, the way it has to "phone home" over the internet to run is a deal-breaker for me. And last I heard, they were seriously considering moving to a "yearly fee" system, like renting software. Don't pay? You don't have it any more - not even the old version. That's a the WRONG direction. But it doesn't really matter, because they clearly have killed the product from neglect.
JohnSays

Wow! The speculation here seems a bit harsh. Why not just take them at their word that they are developing a new infrastructure? As of the blog post of Aug 2020, they are very clear as to what they are working on. As a professional software developer, I have seen ambitious projects take way longer than expected and I have seen them finished in less than predicted time and under budget. However, mostly they come in over budget and past the predicted release time.
gwhite

The "harshness" is largely the result of YEARS of pent up frustration with the broken promises and lack of information coming from S3D. If they were having development problems, they needed to share that with the users as opposed to stonewalling their customer base.

I've been involved with software in one way or another since FORTRAN on punch cards, and I have NEVER seen a company treat their customers this poorly. We are not children, and many (if not most) understand that developing software is difficult to manage. I've certainly never seen a company survive the lack of communications S3D has demonstrated for the last 2 years.

I like S3D. It has some capabilities (like their support handling) that still surpasses what you get in programs that have had multiple updates since S3D 4.1 came out. I would love to have version 5, and would be willing to pay a fair upgrade price for it. I now have PrusaSlicer installed and working, but I find the user interface clunky by comparison. However, it has features S3D does not, and every time I run into a print job that requires one of them, I will be that much closer to walking away from S3D entirely.
Colen Casey

Has everyone noticed that even with all the complaining that S3D has not bothered to chime in on any of it

I love S3D, I bought it several years ago before cura was even thought of and I still to this day use it exclusively for my FDM printing
But I am getting close to playing with others as everyone talks about how much better their prints are just from switching to other software

I dont know if I can give up my scripts but its temping to find out

I would really love to see a v5 release SOONER than later
DoctorRudd

Last activities of S3D moderators:

S3D-Mitch Last active:Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:53 pm
S3D-Chris Last active:Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:11 pm
S3D-Jake Last active:Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:52 pm
S3D-Alex Last active:Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:01 pm

We are lost.
And by the way very unprofessional for a company that SELLS software....
PicoTreed

In short, all that remains is to reverse-engineer the software to restart the race with others slicers. :P
R&D for 3D printers, materials & software.
C_Birch81

JohnSays wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:41 pm Wow! The speculation here seems a bit harsh. Why not just take them at their word that they are developing a new infrastructure? As of the blog post of Aug 2020, they are very clear as to what they are working on. As a professional software developer, I have seen ambitious projects take way longer than expected and I have seen them finished in less than predicted time and under budget. However, mostly they come in over budget and past the predicted release time.
I think the problem is now been years later with a yearly update of yeah we working on it honest type reply, factor in the fact they liked to remove any posts from people asking about it.

Oh and then the fact they sold software to people off the promise of a free upgrade to version 5 within 12 months, a promise that they refuse to say if they will still keep even know them people are now well outside there 12 months free upgrades.

Oh and they will still not even say just how much the "small" upgrade cost will be or not even a planned range.

S3D is dead, i mean they can not even post the odd sneak peak (something they said years ago they would do), then also factor in the social media blackout where they turned off comments to stuff and just keep pushing features from version 4 as if it was still new software.
Galaktican

Wow, I'm so disappointed. Your loyal customers are moving on. Good-Bye S3D, it was fun.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”