flyingdutch1969

Will there ever be any updates?

Just asking....
aruba68

Re: Will there ever be any updates?

just asking too.....
S3D-Jake

Can you be more specific? Are you asking if there will be a software update at all or are you asking for an update on the progress towards said software update? Either way you slice it, the answer is yes. :o

Version 5.0 is still under active development and testing. More information will be shared regarding the new features it offers as we get closer to finalizing the release date.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
TheBum

@S3D-Jake: Y'all have been singing the same tune for over a year. You've been "finalizing the release date" at least that long. Just throw us a bone already!
ViperZ

Are you still hoping for Ver 5?
It's been three years since I've heard that Ver5 is coming. There is no way it will be updated.
Prusaslicer 2.4(beta1) is great. :D
gwhite

Don't be too hard on Jake. He's doing his best to help with day to day problems, and is clearly under a gag order from the higher-ups. "A fish rots from the head..." The slipped schedules, empty promises and appalling lack of communication is entirely a management problem.
petalys

I have been developing software for over 25 years and I have a lot of sympathy for the people on the front line at S3D. I also know when it is time to jump ship - the number of red flags being raised by S3D management is beyond count.

I was not happy with the thought of leaving S3D, I tend to be very loyal. It has always worked, and I think that it has played a big part in developing my love of 3d printing. I have printed almost 8KM of filament with it! It's always hard to realize that software that you have used and enjoyed and relied upon is dead.

I can't use Cura - I just can't get past the interface. I have tried Prusa slicer in the past, spending an afternoon with it and getting horrible results before giving up. After seeing the the teaching tech guy had moved to a variant of Prusa slicer called Superslicer, I thought I would give it a try. After spending a week printing little cubes, boats and astronauts, I have definitely found my new slicer. If anything my print quality has improved, as I had to play around with the settings and develop new profiles etc. I have gone back to S3D to generate a couple of test prints, and I now like the superslicer interface better.

My message to S3D - you guys are in big trouble! I can't believe how much better superslicer is than S3D, once you get past a small learning curve. The way that S3D has managed the communications from the time that they first announced V5 to now is what led me to spend the time to climb that curve, so in a weird way I should thank them for helping me find my new slicer. If it was just me then why would S3D care? The problem is that it is not just me. S3D's actions are encouraging their customers to try out the free competition, only to find that the free slicer is better. How can management not see this?

If there ever is a V5 I am sure that I will give it a sniff, but I can't imagine anything that would cause me to leave superslicer. So I guess this is so long S3D - it has been a real slice!
Galaktican

I am now checking out SuperSlicer, also. I'm looking forward to taking advantage of features it looks like we will never see in Simplify3D. If there ever is a new version of Simplify3D you can bet it will be subscription and probably cloud based. Based on Simplify3D's actions (or lack thereof) I bet most people will never come back, even if V5 had the best feature set and they paid us to use it.
gwhite

I have spent a lot of time with PrusaSlicer, and SuperSlicer still uses the same organization of settings, which I do not like. For example, they have retraction as a printer setting, not a filament setting. If I change filament, I have to remember to go in & change that in the printer settings. That's just dumb.

It also (as best I can tell) lacks the easy layer by layer process changes you can do in S3D. In S3D, I can do a 3 by 3 array of prints, each one with a difference process to fine tune settings. I think that would be a nightmare (if not impossible) to do that in PrusaSlicer or SuperSlicer.

I am VERY concerned about the future of S3D as a company, given the way it has been (mis)managed for the last few years. I still prefer S3D for a lot of fussy work. Run of the mill stuff I can do with PrusaSlicer, but I'm still hopeful that S3D can hang in there long enough to get a good solid version 5 out.
inventabuild

Someone speculated awhile back that a significant amount of code, if not all of it, "might" have needed to be re-written for some reason and that's what's taking so long. I wish s3d would be more transparent on their expectations for the next release date; although I think the software will notify you when there is a new release.

Because S3D was taking so long to fix some bugs and come out w/ a new release I started exploring other slicers. Now I do most of my slicing in PrusaSlicer BUT when full individual layer control is needed S3D is still the best software in the wild IMHO.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”