flyingdutch1969

Re: OK, Time to Start Yet Another "Where is Version 5? " Thread

Pretty sure that they are basically out of business, and probably down to one or two people eeking out a meager living off the few people who are new to 3d printing and sending in some $ for a license, not knowing that it is actually dead.

I guess I too, will start the migration over to superslicer.

They have pretty much alienated their whole user base, and by the time they do release anything, if anything, it will be too late. I can hear all the mocking comments now in response to any announcement they should ever make. The forums, facebook, youtube etc will throw them in the frying pan while laughing at them.
Billzilla

flyingdutch1969 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:24 pm
I guess I too, will start the migration over to superslicer.
I swapped over to Prusaslicer earlier this year and do not miss S3D at all. The ongoing joke of "it's coming soon" wore out a couple of years ago. I'm advising everyone that asks what slicer to use, to not get S3D, it's a waste of money.
flyingdutch1969

And with Covid, more 3d printers were sold than ever before. To be silent during that period, would have been a death nail, if they weren't already dead. Even if someone bought them to try to bring it out of the ground, its too late. The ship has sailed.
ryan99alero

While I would love to see a bunch of new feature. I can say the main reason I continue to use Simplify3D is accuracy. I'd be curious if anyone else has done a comparison. I read an article in 2019 that compared Cura, Simplify3D and Slic3r for dimensional accuracy. Simplify3D was the most accurate. For me accuracy is important for what I use it for but provably not a big deal for most people.

I wish it was even more accurate. Especially for holes. Below is the article I was mentioning about accuracy. I'm curious what is missing or so bad about Simplify3D versus whatever everyone else is running that has made them leave. I have a Raise3D and use to use IdeaMaker but found Simplify3D alot easier to use.

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... duse_parts
nic

I can say the main reason I continue to use Simplify3D is accuracy. I'd be curious if anyone else has done a comparison. I read an article in 2019 that compared Cura, Simplify3D and Slic3r for dimensional accuracy. Simplify3D was the most accurate. For me accuracy is important for what I use it for but provably not a big deal for most people.
I read that link, and there are a number of issues with the "study".

Top line, I would run your own tests. There is going to be (if not already) a feature that other slicers have that S3D does not, so I'd validate now.

1) PLA brand/quality wasn't specified. Consistency can vary.
2) Diameter of the filament wasn't checked - BIG difference on accuracy
3) They only did one print per Slicer! To really validate this is the Slicer (and not the printer), they should have printed each part multiple times to show that the printer itself is capable of maintaining accuracy.
4) We're not sure how reliable the printer itself is. We'd either need to do #3 to validate the printer reproduction, or test with a higher quality printer.

All of this isn't to say you're wrong, but that I wouldn't use that paper as a source of truth. Most of us run hobby-grade printers, so it's very likely that the printer is to blame, not the Slicer (doing basic math).
TKeller3D

Has any one else noticed that the BUY NOW and SUPPORT pages are blank/broken?

I suppose it could be AWS failure related, but still a bit strange....
gwhite

There are occasional signs of life. The Blog had a new posting just a week ago: "Top 10 Tips of 2021".

If the company was struggling to stay afloat, why would they waste time & resources on something like that...?

It's all very bizarre.

To paraphrase the old carol: "All I want for Christmas is Version 5" (or at least some real news)
helenmilson

Thanks for this interesting information!
RoboDLC

Huh. We’ll see. If they don’t have tree supports and better (official) scripting abilities, there won’t be anything in it that I really want.

DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”