HomerRamone

Second license

Am I right in thinking that in order to run simply on another computer I need to pay full whack for another license ?
EchoAlpha

Re: Second license

You do not need a new license to install it on a second computer, but you cannot use both installations at the same time. From the support FAQ [https://www.simplify3d.com/support/faq/]:
Installation: The software can be installed on up to 2 computers that you personally own and use.

Usage: You can use the software on 1 computer at a time.

For example, if you had a laptop and a desktop, you could install the software in both locations, but you should only use the software in 1 location at a time.

Please note: Simplify3D licenses are sold as individual user licenses. A single user license should never be shared by multiple individuals.
HomerRamone

Thanks for the reply - but that kinda amounts to the same thing. Having just bought a new 3d printer I still have my old one - which I have now connected to another computer. (I cant print 2 things at once if they are connected to the same computer - not that I have the space for 2 in the same room anyway).

Which means either:
I must buy another copy of S3D
I bit the bullet and start using a different slicer.

With no concession at all for a second copy I think I know what option Im gonna choose
gwhite

Why can't you create gcode files with S3D, save them & then send them to the printers? S3D doesn't need to be in constant communications with a printer to print. My printer has a SD card interface, and I never send files to the printer directly from S3D.
zemlin

I controlled the machine with S3D for maybe 2 prints 6 years ago. Not willing to tie up a computer with a 3D printer - it's also one of the least reliable ways to print due to potential USB communication errors. I added a RasPI to my machine and used OctoPrint for a print server for a long time, until I moved to printers with built in web servers. A much nicer way to fly.
HomerRamone

I like to have it connected to a computer so I can check the temps (and see the progress bar) during a print.
I have a spare machine so why not ?
HomerRamone

also one printer is a dual extruder, one is not - so that would mean changing settings, exporting and changing back.
S3d isnt especially great at switching between settings ime - some settings are part of the profile - some are not.
S3D-Jake

Which settings are you having issue with not changing when you switch between profiles?

Also, I totally understand the desire to have an application open for monitoring your printer's progress and current temperatures. This can be especially useful if your printer does not have a display for accessing this information. If a second license of Simplify3D is too steep an ask for having the ability to do this on two computers at once there are certainly free alternatives which can give you at the bare minimum the monitoring and print serving aspect of Simplify3D's machine control panel.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
HomerRamone

I think the cost of a second licence is certainly too steep yes. And so yes, using another slicer software is what I will surely do.
Suspect however since I will then need to familiarise myself with another printer (and given the frequency of S3d updates of late)I might well give up on s3d in due course.,

Thanks for the replies.
alexis92

HomerRamone wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:45 am I think the cost of a second licence is certainly too steep yes. And so yes, using another slicer software is what I will surely do.
Suspect however since I will then need to familiarise myself with another printer (and given the frequency of S3d updates of late)I might well give up on s3d in due course.,

Thanks for the replies.
The cost is absurdly high for sure, you chose right.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”