yesbird

Filling horizontal holes

Guys, could you help me one more time ?

Sometimes, when relief extends too much, I am getting holes in the model which leads to printing distortions.
I suppose that a single extrusion can help somehow, but still did not find a solution. Maybe someone already faced the same issues  ?

Hole_wide.png
Hole.png

Any suggestions please !
alexis92

Re: Filling horizontal holes

I'm not entirely sure but maybe this thread will help? viewtopic.php?p=59906&hilit=horizontal+holes#p59906

If not, maybe search the forum using some keywords, you might find your answer.
yesbird

Thanks, alexis 92, but this not the case, I have played with all Single Extrusion setting and still can't force it to fill this hole.
Bridging settings also did not help.
parallyze

That's caused by model geometry. You can clearly see how the outer perimeter does form a "c" shape. Inspect your model, I bet
that feature can be found there or there's something wrong (intersecting).

Make sure single extrusions for external perimeters are disabled, perimeter overlap isn't set too high and try
increasing the extrusion width. If that "c"shape isn't big enough to fit 2 lines / 1 perimeter, it'll be ignored:

0.4mm extrusion width:
bla_01.JPG
0.55mm extrusion width:
bla_02.JPG

And because you mentioned Z Brush in another thread: It is a great tool. But exports should be cleaned up before setting up a
print job. Z Brush models often have non manifold edges and other problems. And an extremely high poly count, which is useless
most of the time in FDM printing. Some of your other screenshots did show problems with your model files, flipped normals for example.
yesbird

Thank you, parallyze, increasing extrusion width gives much better results, although small holes are still present. Now I see that printing is something between art and science and I need to learn it harder.

Hole.png

Mesh repairing in Simplify3D did not show any influence on quality, but I will do it always in future,
As to ZBrush, I will try to reduce the number of polygons, maybe it will help Simplify3D to make better slicing.
gwhite

This may be related to a problem with voids in perimeters that I have battled with off & on for years. Here's a lengthy discussion of experiments I've tried, and the results:

viewtopic.php?t=16041
yesbird

gwhite wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:28 pm This may be related to a problem with voids in perimeters that I have battled with off & on for years. Here's a lengthy discussion of experiments I've tried, and the results:

viewtopic.php?t=16041
Thanks, it's interesting, the amount of investigation is impressive, I will explore it.
Increasing extrusion width more or less solved my problem, because I don't need too much accuracy for clay forms/models.
Moreover, the model becomes much more solid, no layer separation even under the pressure.
alexis92

yesbird wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:41 pm Thanks, alexis 92, but this not the case, I have played with all Single Extrusion setting and still can't force it to fill this hole.
Bridging settings also did not help.
Ah sorry to hear, wish I could've been of more use but I have absolutely zero clue about this one :lol:

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”