yesbird

Script is not working in second process

Hi,
and thanks for the great software you are doing for us.

While experimenting with multicolor printing I found a strange issue, that might be a bug:
I have two processes in my factory and second contains commands for filament changing:
{REPLACE "; layer 50" "M600\n; layer 50"}
{REPLACE "; layer 80" "M600\n; layer 80"}

While using only one process, commands invoked as expected.
In a case of two processes they are not woking and I am missing the point of filament changing.
airscapes

Re: Script is not working in second process

I "think" the second process starts at layer 0
For example if your layer height is .5 mm than at layer 50 your would be at 25mm If your second process starts at 10 mm then your color change in process 2 would need to be Layer 30 of process 2 . 50 - 20 already printed in process1 leaving 30 more to print in process 2 starting over at layer 0, to reach the original one process 50 layer height.
Does that make sense?

My logic comes from the fact that if you look at the cooling tab and you tell the second process to turn on cooling fan at layer 3 and you have a turn off fan in the end script of process 1 the fan will be off for the first 2 layers of process 2. So it sees that start of proc2 as 0 again.

Or it could be broken .. I am using an older version 4.01 and do believe the above is how it works.
Good luck there are no bug fixes being done.
parallyze

yesbird wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:41 am While experimenting with multicolor printing I found a strange issue, that might be a bug:
I have two processes in my factory and second contains commands for filament changing:

{REPLACE "; layer 50" "M600\n; layer 50"}
{REPLACE "; layer 80" "M600\n; layer 80"}

While using only one process, commands invoked as expected.
In a case of two processes they are not woking and I am missing the point of filament changing.
Put those commands into the first process used for slicing. Replace commands are put into
the post processing commands and will beexecuted after the whole gcode file using all processes
has been created.

Layers are counted continously from 0 - end. So if your first process is set to 6 bottom layers,
stops after 4 and the next process is also set to 6, it will print another 2, 6 in total.

Many settings like 1st layer settings from the second process will simply be ignored, they will
also be taken from the first process.

One thing you absolutely should NOT do, but I've seen people doing on the forum:

Never create multiple processes for a single object and slice them on their own. To get
reasonable results all processes used must "know" what the ones before are doing.

Consider adding factory files to your posts, so others can check settings/features.

Another completely different question would be if it's worth it, digging through a slicer
that hasn't seen any updates/bug fixes for over 3 years...

Edit, related to multiple processes:

viewtopic.php?t=15180
(trying to use supports on a process starting mid-air... ^^)

viewtopic.php?t=15124
yesbird

airscapes wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:47 am I "think" the second process starts at layer 0
O no, second process starts from layer 5.

parallyze wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:42 am Put those commands into the first process used for slicing. Replace commands are put into
the post processing commands and will be executed after the whole gcode file using all processes
has been created.
Thanks a lot, didn't know it !
parallyze wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:42 am Consider adding factory files to your posts, so others can check settings/features.
Sorry, I should do this at first post, attached it now, but without a model geometry (it's too large):
Pot_h55_mm_exw_060_marble_01_issued.factory
(5.91 KiB) Downloaded 1914 times
yesbird

parallyze wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:42 am Put those commands into the first process used for slicing. Replace commands are put into
the post processing commands and will beexecuted after the whole gcode file using all processes
has been created.
I have tried it now - thanks - really works !

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”