Sparky

Convert Image to 3D Add-in

I was able to import one jpg image and convert it, but after rebooting and several reattempts, nothing would import to the Convert add-in on either of two PCs. No error messages. Are there restrictions on graphics file size/type?
Karl_Williams

Re: Convert Image to 3D Add-in

The STL files it generated when I tried contain only 2 lines:
solid filename
endsolid filename
I also saw that the importing models was broken after using convert image to 3D. I had to restart the program.
Sparky

I deleted and restored the program, imported a jpg to convert to 3D, but it did not display on the graphic table as I expected it would. It apparently converted and saved OK though so that it could then be imported as an stl. After generating g-code I could then print a reasonable facsimile except that some tweaking appears to be in order as the top layer came out very rough. The conversion gave more of an impression of a bas relief effect than a typical height map -- which was a very nice surprise.

[edit: I now think I converted a PNG image instead of a JPG. I tried it so many times I got the source image file extensions confused. Only PNG seems to work well so far]
Last edited by Sparky on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karl_Williams

That print might look really cool back lit with LEDs.
Sparky

Karl_Williams wrote:That print might look really cool back lit with LEDs.
Yeah, I was thinking of a lithophane, but filament is too transparent. Edge lit might be interesting.

I am now getting consistent conversion results, but only with PNG so far. JPG doesn't work.
Karl_Williams

Cool feature. I just got some nice results using a .png file.
Sparky

Mouse thumbwheel zoom-in/out action is opposite of convention
Blown454

I thought so about the mouse wheel myself but thought it might be me. Glad you said that :).
Sparky

Imported .png image's orientation is mirrored horizontally.
Simplify3D
Site Admin

The next version will include the ability to swap the scroll wheel zoom direction so everyone can use what they're accustomed to :D

And you guys are right, the image to 3D add-in can flip the image horizontally depending on your axis orientation. As a temporary fix, you can always toggle your origin placement (toggle flip X-axis in the Options dialog for example), and that should generate the STL correctly. You can then swap it back to import it. We'll have a better fix in the future.

And about the file format, PNG's are definitely the easiest to use. JPG's can have different compression settings and sometimes those can cause issues with the translator we are using. You're best bet is to convert everything to PNG first, and while you're at it, make sure the file and image size is reasonable. That being said, I went out on google and tested the converter with 5 random PNG and 5 random JPG images. The conversion worked correctly on every one. So if you guys keep having issues with this (particularly with a PNG image), maybe post the image here so we can dig into it more.

Pro tip: you can play with the Gaussian filter percentage to alter the smoothing of sharp gradients in the image profile

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”