neilr

Things you've taken away in V5

Hi, I'm a LONG time user (and proponent) of S3D. I recently "upgraded" to version 5, and was immediately hit with a variety of issues. Some simple, some downright annoying.

1. Your license terms have become onerous. Even though you say I can have the program loaded onto more that one machine, but only use it on one at a time, what you really mean is that I have to Deactivate it on all machines except one before it will run. That's a true pain, and not how your license agreement reads. You simply say "can only run on one computer at a time" (which I'm ok with), instead of "you have to deactivate on all computers before you can run it on any one".
2. You have eliminated two very useful controls -- the "Infill Percentage" slider and the "Generate Support" check box when the Advanced controls are present. Why???
3. If I don't elect to have supports on a part (I know what I'm doing), your program will nag me each time I slice if it disagrees. No way to disable this.
4. The Delete key no longer removes parts from the bed. I have to use the Backspace key now. Why???
5. I've had issues when I have several processes, each for a different segment of the part. When I set this up (difficult), the program crashes when I go to slice. See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq6BN3gw67I
6. The automatic variable layer height produces weird results -- it's hard to understand sometimes why it chooses what it does. There's just not enough control or visual feedback.
7. Have you done a feature-by-feature comparison with the various other offerings? I bet you won't fare that well, which would partly explain why so many people are "bashing" V5 online. The other reason is that you've been so opaque in terms of what you're doing, and when to expect it. Your corporate management has been abysmal, and I fear this may result in great harm to your future as a company. Ironically, I'm on your side!

At this point, even though I paid for two license upgrades to V5, I'm going back to 4.1.x. I wish I had had a chance to respond to projected changes/updates during the development cycle, rather than receiving it as a fait accompli three years late.

Neil
Last edited by neilr on Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bisonium

Re: Things you've taken away in V5

Hi, unfortunately I haven't had time to investigate all things you claim are missing. I just want to add one more to that list. in earlier versions' top menu we had "Add-ins->Convert Image to 3D", which I now can't seem to find anywhere. Not a biggie I know, but it adds to the already long list of yours.

I do not like to suddenly be forced to use many different softwares for my creations, when I am used to have it all in the same.

/Bisonium
Last edited by bisonium on Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
siemslikelynn

While only a margin better than editing the text file, you can in fact inject code using the Post-processing tab in the Script area. For example:

{REPLACE "; layer 21," "M600\n; layer 21,"}

This would run M600 (filament change) at Layer 21, it's what I use for all color swaps in S3D.

It's ridiculous that we have to do this, but well, here we are.
HexHyte

neilr wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:00 pm 2. You have eliminated two very useful controls -- the "Infill Percentage" slider and the "Generate Support" check box when the Advanced controls are present. Why???
3. If I don't elect to have supports on a part (I know what I'm doing), your program will nag me each time I slice if it disagrees. No way to disable this.
I am wondering the same.. WHY?

And now the software keep warning me about the absence of support structure every time i try to preview the gcode!! I mean.. I KNOWWW! I DON'T WANT TO USE SUPPORTS!

Please fix this ASAP, it shouldn't be here in the first place!
dellrio

I agree with all of the things mentioned above, you also removed the bed leveling wizard which was super helpful for older printers which require manual bed leveling - I have multiple printers which I used this feature on. Also, you removed the extrusion and print speed dials which I regularly use. Seems I have seen many complaints about simple basic features being removed?
wirlybird

Over the years it has seemed that every time they release an update they have removed more good features than they add new stuff or fixed requested items. Just makes no sense.
airscapes

Thanks for the updates everyone! I will concentrate on moving to Prusa slicer and continue using 4.0.1 which works just fine for my needs.
Good luck getting V5 fictional enough to use..
zemlin

airscapes wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:55 am Good luck getting V5 fictional enough to use..
Freudian slip, I'm guessing - which these days means auto-correct - but 'Fictional V5' still seems to be a thing.
Fictional/functional ... tomato tomahto.
airscapes

zemlin wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:45 pm
airscapes wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:55 am Good luck getting V5 fictional enough to use..
Freudian slip, I'm guessing - which these days means auto-correct - but 'Fictional V5' still seems to be a thing.
Fictional/functional ... tomato tomahto.
HAHAHA, yep same thing in this case I think!

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”