Ger8mm

V5.0.1 Crashes when using Variable Settings Wizard

I was doing a speed tower that changes every 5mm in height. The tower covers 40mm/s to 100mm/s, so I made 11 processes to change the speed from 45mm/s to 100mm/s. I selected "Prepare to print" > "Continuous Printing" > "OK" and the software crashes around 50%.

Well, while I was writing this to give a better description, I found a work around. If I don't have all the processes selected within the Process column (I would have Zone 1 selected only) then selecting 'Prepare to Print' would open the process window where I would then select all process zones. This will cause the software to crash, you must have all processes selected before and after.

I was following the instructions here: https://www.simplify3d.com/resources/ar ... f-a-model/
where it doesn't call this out, so I will assume its a bug?
Attachments
speedtowerpic1.jpg
S3D-Jason

Re: V5.0.1 Crashes when using Variable Settings Wizard

I have used that wizard many times myself, but I can't say I've ever seen this issue.

Is the crash repeatable? Are you able to save the factory file right before you click "Prepare to Print" to start slicing?
Xminus6

Having the same issue where it crashes immediately upon pressing the OK button. It works fine if I manually add a process and change the custom zones.
Ger8mm

S3D-Jason wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:01 am I have used that wizard many times myself, but I can't say I've ever seen this issue.

Is the crash repeatable? Are you able to save the factory file right before you click "Prepare to Print" to start slicing?
Repeatable: Yes (Case 3)
Save Factory File: Yes

More findings:
Case 1
If I keep the Zone count low, around 4 zones is what I tried. I select one zone in the process column and all the zones in the prepare to print window and it seems to work fine.

Case 2
I made 10 zones (no changes between zone configs) and the software generated an 11th zone for some reason. Then the print option wouldn't work until I noticed the 11th zone and deselected it. Then the slicer worked fine.

Never seen this until now:
I selected new "File" to have a fresh start and selected 'Discard' option in the thoughts this would open a new window but the software closed and never opened a new project. I had to re-select the Simplify3D shortcut to get a new project opened.

Case 3 - Can repeat this crash 2x
I made 12 zones, each zone config had the speed change from 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, etc... and only selected 2 processes under the column Zone 3 and Zone 4. Then the window after Prepare to print I selected all zones. This made the software crash, this is what it said along the bottom right when it crashes "Looking for over hangs" status bar is about 45 - 50% filled
Last edited by Ger8mm on Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ger8mm

Xminus6 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:55 pm Having the same issue where it crashes immediately upon pressing the OK button. It works fine if I manually add a process and change the custom zones.
Not sure what your are seeing but my case is not immediately. What are your actions?
Xminus6

Ger8mm wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:20 pm
Xminus6 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:55 pm Having the same issue where it crashes immediately upon pressing the OK button. It works fine if I manually add a process and change the custom zones.
Not sure what your are seeing but my case is not immediately. What are your actions?
I can add distances to seperate the processes. When I press OK the whole program crashes.
dmarnel

The app will crash if I even just open the Variable Settings Wizard and immediately hit Cancel. I'm on a Macbook Pro M2 with 32 GB memory.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”