VitHudecek

Re: Ironing

+1
f1racr

I specifically came here to put in a request for this feature and saw the thread from way back.

I recently was feeling like I was getting left behind with some of the stuff I was trying to do and couldn't because I was using S3D and everyone else who was discussing topics was using Cura or Superslicer so I decided to drop S3D since there had been no updates and no sign of updates on the horizon.

I started using SuperSlicer and used the ironing feature and it was great, makes a huge difference to the finish. Then S3D just happened to magically release V5 so I've purchased it since it was at a good discount rate for existing customers so going to give it a go, but the ironing feature is something I think would add to V5 nicely and as others have said, it's not the the ultimate top layer that gets ironed, it does any top layer if you have a part with different final layers at different heights.
gearsawe

This actually can be done now. With 2 processes duplicate the first
On second "iron" zero out
Layer >>Bottom Solid Layer
Layer >>Outline Perimeters
Additions >> Skirt Layers
Additions >>Rafter off
Infill >> Infill Percentage
Infill >> Solid Infill Threshold Area
Support >> Support to Aligned
Support >> Infill Percentage

as for the Extruder > Extrusion Multiplier set this to a small value so very little is extruded. will need some testing
also would change the direction 90 degs to the original tope maybe?

the result should be only top layer showing for the second process. and extrude very little material. This is basically what ironing is doing.
You will also get some warning about about overlapping processes when you print.
preview the iron process first to ensure you only see Top layers don't want to miss anything which should not be printing
Ensure the Model Process is first then the Iron second

So this could be easy to implement just what choices would you want for ironing?

Edit: so the lowest you can do for the Extrusion multiplier is 0.10 if you want to go lower you must mess with the filament diameter for the iron process. If the actual diameter is 1.75, figure the area, then double it then solve for the diameter which would be 2.64. So if you enter 0.10 you are actually extruding half 0.05. So this does work.
Instrumentation

Gearsawe, that sounds like a nice workaround, if it works, but it's still a workaround.

S3D-Jake, S3D-Jason, and whoever else, this really does appear to be the kind of thing that people are expecting from a *premium* slicer. I'm looking forward to trying out the seam hiding, so thanks for paying attention to that kind of cosmetic feature. Put the same attention into ironing settings, please.
dsiegfried

arhi wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:43 am you can already do this with s3d, I did it few times, create another process on top of the final layer that's 0.1 or 0.05mm off the top, set for that process 0.1 or 0.05mm layer and reduce extrusion multiplier a lot (you can even increase the temp) and that's it .. that process will do the ironing :)
That is only limited to the top surface of one final layer only, many models have multiple horizontal surfaces at various heights throughout the model, this would not work for that. For instance, think of a flight of stairs. You want the ironing on every stair, not just the top one. You could create a process for each stair, but that would be tedious. Plus there are much more complex models than a simple staircase which would be difficult if not impossible to do ironing for every top surface.
arhi

dsiegfried wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:38 am That is only limited to the top surface of one final layer only
in 2017, when that post that you quoted was written, the other slicers that supported ironing also handled topmost layer of the object too ... many iterations later "all flat surfaces" was included... while I never use ironing myself (if you have properly calibrated printer and a good nozzle you do not need it, or if you are making functional parts and not parts for a show you don't care about it) I do understand that some ppl would love it as an option but there are at least three free and awesome slicers that supports it so why bother?
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
kamoteshake

+1
ydj

+1
Even Flashforge own software has ironing.
tenaja

+1 still.

I won't leave Cura without it.
ziever

+1

Return to “Feature Requests”