fatboy1271

"Random" Pauses

I'm finally getting a full print of Moon City 2.0 by Kijai https://www.printables.com/model/218224-moon-city-20; however, several prints have failed due to what appears to me to be random pauses.

The nozzle will sit in the same spot 10 to 30 seconds. When using Polymaker Chameleon Dual Silk, the filament jams once the head starts moving again. The extruder grinds into the filament and then it can't push enough out the hotend.

Because this is a 28 hour print, I have tried slicing it in S3D v4 to see if it does it there or not... I tried to upload my gcode, but the file is way too big.

fat
Creality CR-10S with E3D V6
CR-10 Ultimate Leveling Knob Attachment by Valstrath
Bowden Tube Clip by walter
CR-10 Heavy Duty customisable modular e3D V6 mount Volcano 5015 ABL by chito
#Let'sGoPens!
S3D-Jason

Re: "Random" Pauses

What printer are you using? Are you printing from the SD card? That's definitely the more reliable method for long prints.
fatboy1271

S3D-Jason wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:58 pm What printer are you using? Are you printing from the SD card? That's definitely the more reliable method for long prints.
Custom CR-10S. I print via USB from S3D v4.1.2; my laptop is in the garage next to my printer, so that's I use that version.
#Let'sGoPens!
DrD

fatboy1271 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:30 pm
S3D-Jason wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:58 pm What printer are you using? Are you printing from the SD card? That's definitely the more reliable method for long prints.
Custom CR-10S. I print via USB from S3D v4.1.2; my laptop is in the garage next to my printer, so that's I use that version.
Could you please upload your v5 .factory file?? Would be interesting to see how you've setup your machine profile for printing.

The other idea that I had is that if you're using stock Creality firmware and are printing from an SD card, the power loss recovery
function might be causing the pauses... to turn it off, you can issue a "M413 S0" in your Start script.

D.
You don't know what you don't know until you know (my philosophy for continued learning).
gwhite

fatboy1271 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:30 pm
Windows will occasionally probe or shut down a USB port that isn't active for a long time. This can cause your printer to hiccup. I gave up leaving USB connected a long time ago after multiple crashes in the middle of long prints. I only print directly from an SD card, and haven't had an issue in 5 years. You may be able to fix it by fiddling with settings in Windows, but you never know when Microsoft will mess it up again with an update.

I use a USB switch to disconnect the computer any time I'm running a print. If I need to control the printer directly, I just hit the button on the switch.
airscapes

I would do the print from the sd card, windows and USB connection has never been reliable, I built an octoprint server to eliminate the issue and never had it again. I have since moved to a duet board which has an on- board printer control, which is the best solution to so far. The pausing issue has been around since the beginning of time when windows is doing the driving...
fatboy1271

Thanks for the Replies 🤘🤘

I've never had issues printing over USB from Windows; however, it did it again today and it's becoming more common...

I reinstalled Octoprint and will give that model and filament a try that way. If it prints without issue, then we'll know for sure it was Windows.
#Let'sGoPens!
JasonA

Hey guys, I'm in the same boat :x

Now before you ask, YES, Windows 10, old school FF Creator Pro (USB connected) that's has printing more spools then even God has made and all running FLAWLESSLY..... PERFECTLY pretty much... right on up til 4.xx

Then I made the dumbass mistake of just buying into 5 :( last week

Besides the crap print quality and crashes... and licensing issue that support still hasn't gotten back to me on yet (hello??) .. guess what my BIGGEST ISSUE IS??

these micro pauses ever second or two that NEVER used to happened... I've tried 3 different models.. plain stupid, easy models and they all do this pause crap.

Now... before you ask... or say anything.. (blah blah blah)... I'm also a hardware and (somewhat) of a software engineer... but the USB port and spec has PLENTY of bandwidth to transfer or stream gcode in real time.

So.. Simplfy.. fix your stuff!
2012 10kw Dual LQ cooled Brusa powered Leaf "Astro"
10kw Enphase System,SolarWorld Panels, QuickMountPV- ALL USA!! + 3kw SW panels string tie.
I fly drones and R/C.
2014 Rav4 "SuperRav" JdeMO - 2015 Tesla 70d (Model 3 on deposit) 8-)
fatboy1271

So, my issue was not S3D and indeed must have been Windows... I went back to Octoprint and things have been near flawless 🤘🤘

Thanks for help and suggestions,
fat
#Let'sGoPens!
JasonA

That's great to hear fat! 👍

I went back to v4 and zero issues, no pauses, etc and support finally got back to me and is going to refund upgrade (which is solid).

I've been using S3D since 2016 and hopefully V5 will mature, get the features that were left behind and become what was promised!

Take care everyone and stay safe out there for 2023! :mrgreen:
2012 10kw Dual LQ cooled Brusa powered Leaf "Astro"
10kw Enphase System,SolarWorld Panels, QuickMountPV- ALL USA!! + 3kw SW panels string tie.
I fly drones and R/C.
2014 Rav4 "SuperRav" JdeMO - 2015 Tesla 70d (Model 3 on deposit) 8-)

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”