Kissable1089

SuperSlicer -> SImplify usage questions

Background:

I currently run SuperSlicer as my main slicer, it performs well. I also purchased the upgrade for simplify, which in the 4.0 version ran well, I just wasn't using it much as I got a few more printers and it was a chore. New features look excellent for what I am doing, and so I am trying to return.

While setting up and tuning printers in Simplify, I feel like I am missing something in my brain. I'd search but I have no idea what I'm searching for, so I'll ask.

What is the proper way to use Simplify with multiple printrers, and the possibility of multiple nozzles per printer?

In Superslicer, I make a physical printer, connected to a printer profile, which can have multiple seepds and filaments associated with it. I see I get _most_ of this in Simplify, but as I said, I'm lacking something. In a superslicer in a print profile, I can adjust layerheight, speed, same printer, I just select that profile. If I make a change, I save as, test it and if need be keep or remove. I can't figure that out in Simplify. If I change speed, it persists _all?_ qualities for that profile? How do I deal with this? I print different speeds for different layer heights.
With 9 printers, it is going to be a fairly large drop down menu for profiles...

I also found when I am saving files, they all seem to go to the same directory, with the same name. Ideally, I'd like to at least save the file to a different directory per profile? Is that a thing?
S3D-Jason

Re: SuperSlicer -> SImplify usage questions

To add a new printer to S3D, just go to Help > Configuration Assistant, click Next, and then search for the name of your printer. You don't have to type the full name - for example you could type just "MakerBot" and probably 10 or so different machines would show up. After you finish the wizard, that profile gets added to the internal S3D profile database. You can view the profiles in the database by clicking Edit Process Settings and expanding the Select Profile drop down list. Once a profile exists in that list, it will be permanently saved. You can delete all of the processes, and then if you add a new process you will see all of your profiles still exist in the list. I make a point to say that because I think we've seen some people that have dozens of processes since they seem to think their settings will be lost if they delete a process. You typically only need to have a single process in the list and you just use the Select Profile drop down to choose your machine.

Next, you said you want to define different speeds for different quality levels. First, click the "..." button just to the right of Save As New, and choose "Assign settings to categories". Search for "Default Printing Speed" and make sure that setting is controlled by the Quality auto-configure category. Now when you change the speed it will be saved to your specific quality level instead of being the same across ALL quality levels (that's what happens if you have "None" selected for the category). You can use this same concept to choose which settings are controlled by the material selection.

You also mentioned that you might want to change some settings for different nozzle sizes. You can do that by clicking the "..." button again and choosing "Add new auto-configure category". You could enter "Nozzle Size" and then add options for 0.4mm, 0.6mm, 1.0mm, etc. Then use the "Assign settings to categories" option to make sure nozzle diameter, extrusion width, and other relevant settings are controlled by the nozzle selection.

It's a really flexible system once you get the hang of it. You basically have complete control to determine exactly what settings are changed for which options.
Kissable1089

Flat out awesome post. Really appreciate it. Got me going where I wanted to be.

I set the nozzles as suggested, the speeds based on quality.

Is there a way to set "quality" options based on "nozzles"?

I have a printer named "Bob"; Bob can use a 0.3, 0.4, 0.6 nozzle. I do this by changing the hot end.
For the 0.3, I'm doing 0.1 and 0.2 layers, which have different max speeds. The speed on quality works well for this and the nozzle widths works well for changing them (again thanks).
For the 0.4 I do 0.2 and 0.3 layer height. The speeds are different for those.
I'd end up with two 0.2 qualities. Obviously I can name them, but is it possible to bind them back to the nozzle settings?

Just curious.
S3D-Jason

Glad it helped!

For your last question, I know you have to pick a single category for each setting, so you can't do something like have a print speed that changes based on both the quality and nozzle setting. If you want to do that, you may be better off creating a separate profile for each nozzle size. Then you can change the parameters based on quality alone.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”