RetroDesign3D

Snap surface of model A to center of selected surface on Model B

Like Autodesk123D (old) and Fusion360 where you can select a surface of one model, then select a surface on another model and the First model will snap centered to the Surface of the second model.

Simplyfy3D already does this to the build plate, we just need an option to select a second surface to perform this on instead of the build plate. This will make assembling scenes to print so much easier if we could do this in slicer.

Thank you
billyd

Re: Snap surface of model A to center of selected surface on Model B

Yes good idea. Also a good way to reconnect models that were broken up purposefully and you want to make whole again so the software could orient the two mating surfaces perfectly prior to joining (assuming they were once directly connected at those surfaces).
DrD

RetroDesign3D wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:51 pm Like Autodesk123D (old) and Fusion360 where you can select a surface of one model, then select a surface on another model and the First model will snap centered to the Surface of the second model.

Simplyfy3D already does this to the build plate, we just need an option to select a second surface to perform this on instead of the build plate. This will make assembling scenes to print so much easier if we could do this in slicer.

Thank you
In the meantime, as a suggestion, you could use Autodesk's Netfabb. It'll allow you to stack models and so much more.

I use it for model placement/repairs where S3D is lacking.

D.
You don't know what you don't know until you know (my philosophy for continued learning).
S3D-Jason

Interesting idea! Can you link to a quick video or GIF showing the snapping operation? I'm interested to see what you mean by always snapping to the center. I imagine that for many parts that wouldn't be enough to fully align them, although I guess it would work for many cylindrical parts.
RetroDesign3D

26 seconds mark to 33 second mark shows a simple snap.. there are more examples if you watch all 3 min. video
https://youtu.be/_ioedS55GU0

sorry I dont know a thing about making gifs
S3D-Jason

That's perfect. Very helpful!

Return to “Feature Requests”